Which memory should I chose?

Lalit_13

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
So I have "Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX DDR3 1600 Motherboard" and "Corsair CMV4GX3M1A1600C11 1600MHz 4GB DDR3 ". I want to add 4 GB more memory.
For optimal results, Should I go with the exact same corsair model or should I just buy cheaper one with same size, speed and of course type (DDR3)?

Does any of my specs relate to "dual channel" that people talk about? Is there any important consideration regarding that?

It's mainly used for internet but sometimes for lightweight gaming, video editing and designing.

Solution
Ideally, you'd want to replace the single stick of RAM you have now with a new matched pair of DDR3 1600 MHz (or faster) memory.

Next best would be to buy another stick identical to what you have now.

Third best would be to buy any other brand that matches the specs as close as possible to what you have now.

All three scenarios will work. The closer you can keep the pairs in like-colored slots the same, the more likely the memory system will be stable when pushed to its extreme.
And yes, dual channel memory is what you end up with when you have both like-colored slots populated. Right now (if you only have a single stick), you are operating in single channel mode which is slightly slower than dual channel mode.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Ideally, you'd want to replace the single stick of RAM you have now with a new matched pair of DDR3 1600 MHz (or faster) memory.

Next best would be to buy another stick identical to what you have now.

Third best would be to buy any other brand that matches the specs as close as possible to what you have now.

All three scenarios will work. The closer you can keep the pairs in like-colored slots the same, the more likely the memory system will be stable when pushed to its extreme.
And yes, dual channel memory is what you end up with when you have both like-colored slots populated. Right now (if you only have a single stick), you are operating in single channel mode which is slightly slower than dual channel mode.

Solution

Lalit_13

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017

Thank you! That's exactly the information I needed.