Which memory should I get?

crixc

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Hey Guys,

I have 6 gigs of HyperX 1600 DDr3 Triple Channel right now. I also still have two slots open for more memory.
my question is: If I get more memory does it have to be triple channel to work with my existing memory or can it be dual channel, also what are the benifits of triple vs. dual? i just want to upgrade another 2 to 4 gigs, also taking any suggestions for some good memory with a price range of around $70.

Thank you in advance!

Here is my system:

Alienware Aurora ALX
Alienware™ Approved Intel® X58 mATX Motherboard
Socket 1366, Core i7 Ready, Dual Triple-Channel DDR3 Memory Support
i7 930 2.8 ghz
6 gigs tri DDr3 1600
ATI Radeon 6870
875 Watt PSU

crixc

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Also, does it matter if you use a differnt brand with what you already have?

Sorry kind of a noob when it comes to the details of some components.

Thanks Again.

curryj02

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
1: you can use dual channel kits on triple channel motherboards just as long as they operate within the same voltage range (ie. a lot of old dual channel kits had higher voltage specs than newer triple channel, but any dual channel kit you buy now should be fine). As for mixing the two, I'm not 100% sure it will work, and personally I wouldn't bother considering the price of 8gb dual channel kits nowadays.

2: the benefits of triple over dual are slightly higher bandwidth in certain scenarios. For a more detailed look, check this out: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2658/5

3: if you just want '2-4 gigs more' then you have two options with just $70ish to spend:
a) flex out the cash for another 6gigs of tri channel to bring you up to 12 gigs total (this is what I would do). Like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145222&cm_re=ddr3_6gb_1600-_-20-145-222-_-Product
or this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104118&cm_re=ddr3_6gb_1600-_-20-104-118-_-Product
b) just go dual channel with an 8gb kit. the main issue here is that the cost will be a little higher, and what you will do with your existing memory. depending on your mobo settings, you should be able to put in 2x4gb dual channel sticks, and then 2x2gb of your old triple channel sticks. not familiar with how alienware describe their possible memory setups, but asus, gigabyte etc give you a diagram/explanation in the manual as to which slots you need to use for each possible config. trial and error could work... but ideally you shouldn't try til you have found out exactly how they want you to set it up.

like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104246&cm_re=8gb_1600_ddr3-_-20-104-246-_-Product

3: what Daave12 said. dif brand, no worries.

crixc

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Ok yeah I currently have 6 total slots and 3 of the six are filled with 2 gig sticks tri channel 1600. What about the Hyper 3*1 gig sticks for the other 3 slots....that will add 3 extra gigs? Also would 3 more gigs be a decent performance boost?

Thanks!

crixc

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
I just mainly play games ( WoW, Portal) but I noticed while i was playing WoW the other night i was streaming a live raid from justin.tv and i noticed when i tried to move the IE window there was a trail dragging behind the window...I thought that was a low memory issue?

I'm a bit confused ... you have 3 slots filled (3 x 2GB set) and only have 2 slots empty ? I have to say, a MoBo w/ 5 memory slots is unusual.

If you match voltage, CAS, and speed, you should not have a problem. In most cases I have found this to be true. In recent years, I have had issues adding Gskill modules to older systems of exact same spec with Corsair, Crucial, Kingston and Mushkin Modules.

In one case I had two similar system which I tried to add GSkills to....both failed. So I mixed the old set of Corsairs w/ the old set of Kingstons and they worked. I then put the four Gskills together and that worked.

Ideally, it's best to match exact make and model....if for nothing else, you get to call tech support to help you with any problems and they can't blame it on the other guy.

If you are doing a lot of multitasking, then more memory is helpful, as is a faster CPU with more cores.

crixc

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010

Ok yeah I currently have 6 total slots and 3 of the six are filled with 2 gig sticks tri channel 1600. What about the Hyper 3*1 gig sticks for the other 3 slots....that will add 3 extra gigs? Also would 3 more gigs be a decent performance boost?

Thanks!

curryj02

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
Yer, you could throw in 3x1gb sticks into the spare 3 slots. Given the budget you stated at the beginning ('around $70') I suggested going whole hog and getting another 3x2gb. It is up to you, but as one other poster suggested, you shouldn't really see a huge performance gain. Have a look at this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,2778-8.html
Like I said, if it were me, I would just go the full 16gb if I was going to upgrade at all.

TRENDING THREADS