Jan 23, 2021
Hi all,

I am doing a complex troubleshooting for a hardware problem in my PC and I need to isolate the issue trying to identify the culprit

Can you tell me which is the minimum set of components I need to do a successful POST? Currently my PC is resetting all the time before being able to enter the BIOS setup.

I removed all possible HW and I have the motherboard seating on an antistatic pad with the CPU + Cooler connected and 1 DIMM memmory + PSU.

I removed all the PC box cabling from the motherboard except for the ATX connector + 2x8 pin CPU connectors + cooler pump + CPUFAN

Connecting or not connecting the GPU doesn´t change the situation

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
A 'breadboard' is a minimalistic post, usually done outside of the case to eliminate any potential grounding or shorts to the frame.

It consists of 1 stick of ram in slot A2, cpu, cpu cooler plugged into cpu_fan header and the 2x power connectors. Nothing else. It's the only way to eliminate any external sources or extra gizmos that can affect the POST process.

If that posts, you start adding equipment, 1 piece at a time, or changing ram configurations 1 slot at a time. Continue to do so until you get an error. That means for most Intel cpu's, using the igpu as graphics output. For Ryzens / Intel - F / FX cpus you'd install the gpu, boot, monitor, boot, keyboard, boot, mouse, boot.... rinse and repeat, saving storage for absolute last...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A 'breadboard' is a minimalistic post, usually done outside of the case to eliminate any potential grounding or shorts to the frame.

It consists of 1 stick of ram in slot A2, cpu, cpu cooler plugged into cpu_fan header and the 2x power connectors. Nothing else. It's the only way to eliminate any external sources or extra gizmos that can affect the POST process.

If that posts, you start adding equipment, 1 piece at a time, or changing ram configurations 1 slot at a time. Continue to do so until you get an error. That means for most Intel cpu's, using the igpu as graphics output. For Ryzens / Intel - F / FX cpus you'd install the gpu, boot, monitor, boot, keyboard, boot, mouse, boot.... rinse and repeat, saving storage for absolute last as it avoids the OS startup procedures.

If you can fully assemble the pc outside of the case, any issues you have are inside the case, check for motherboard short scorch marks, extra or wrongly placed standoffs, wiring scorches, switch shorts to ground etc. You'll plug in the front panel connectors singly if possible, fans singly etc.

Reactions: Daykono
Solution
Jan 23, 2021
PSU
motherboard
CPU
RAM
GPU if no iGPU on the CPU
All the relevant connections
Thank you very much for the reply. As far as I was told GPU is not needed for the POST but to actually see what's going on and enter in BIOs setup. Is this true?

Regarding all relevant connections would it be enough for with 24PIN ATX power connector from psu to motherboardC, 8PIN CPUpower connectors from psu to motherboard, pump and/or CPu fan, power connector from psu to gpu?

anything else?

Thanks again

Jan 23, 2021

If that posts, you start adding equipment, 1 piece at a time, or changing ram configurations 1 slot at a time. Continue to do so until you get an error. That means for most Intel cpu's, using the igpu as graphics output. For Ryzens / Intel - F / FX cpus you'd install the gpu, boot, monitor, boot, keyboard, boot, mouse, boot.... rinse and repeat, saving storage for absolute last as it avoids the OS startup procedures.

If you can fully assemble the pc outside of the case, any issues you have are inside the case, check for motherboard short scorch marks, extra or wrongly placed standoffs, wiring scorches, switch shorts to ground etc. You'll plug in the front panel connectors singly if possible, fans singly etc.
Actually in my setup I have now only the motherboard laying on an antistatic pad with cpu plugged, cpu cooler, 1 DIMM in the recommended slot, psu connected to motherboard with 2x8 pin CPu connectors + 24 pin ATX connector + pump connector coming from the cooler + CPU fan coming from the cooler

Even with this my pc won't do PosT and will reset in a loop. It was working fine before.

The post code sequence is memory check, cpu check, vga check and resets again:
: 00 b4 3E b8 82 14 15 C8 CC C0 C8 C4 E1 F6 EA 11 15 F5 07 04 33 99 33 60 90 C2 79 89

I replaced mother board, psu and tried the 8 simms one by one in all different slots. I am really out of ideas. Any advice?

Thanks

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
As far as I was told GPU is not needed for the POST but to actually see what's going on and enter in BIOs setup. Is this true?
if your motherboard/CPU don't have internal graphics you'll need a GPU to see the BIOS setup screen

Regarding all relevant connections would it be enough for with 24PIN ATX power connector from psu to motherboardC, 8PIN CPUpower connectors from psu to motherboard, pump and/or CPu fan, power connector from psu to gpu?
yep that looks fine for a list of minimum power connectors

Jan 23, 2021
if your motherboard/CPU don't have internal graphics you'll need a GPU to see the BIOS setup screen

yep that looks fine for a list of minimum power connectors

Thank you very much,

Right know I am just expecting to have good POST, no need to see BIOs. The thing is that my PC started resetting in a loop while I was working last 6th Jan. Since then I didn't manage to get a POST but a cycle of resets and the following code sequence : 00 b4 3E b8 82 14 15 C8 CC C0 C8 C4 E1 F6 EA 11 15 F5 07 04 33 99 33 60 90 C2 79 89 and start over again. I replaced motherboard, psu, reseated CPu and cooler and tried all possible combinations of DiMMs. Nothing, always the same boot loop sequence. Any ideas are really welcome. Cheers

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
if you don't have internal or CPU graphics, and haven't plugged in a graphics output/GPU, some motherboards won't post because they won't be detecting a graphics output, although you'll be able to tell if you have got out of the reset loop

if you suspect the GPU (seems like you've tried everything else) have you tried a different GPU?

Jan 23, 2021
Indeed. I have 2 GPUs in my setup. Right now I have only one plugged for tets but no matter which one I use or whether I plug it or not the reset sequence is the same

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
OK, am I right that you've replaced the motherboard and PSU?

you've also tried two different GPU's, so the only common parts in your breadboard post are RAM, CPU and cooler

Have you tried doing a full factory reset of the BIOS? usually this is done by powering it up with a jumper between two pins on the motherboard, as specified on the pin-out in the manual, what is your motherboard?

Jan 23, 2021
OK, am I right that you've replaced the motherboard and PSU?

you've also tried two different GPU's, so the only common parts in your breadboard post are RAM, CPU and cooler

Have you tried doing a full factory reset of the BIOS? usually this is done by powering it up with a jumper between two pins on the motherboard, as specified on the pin-out in the manual, what is your motherboard?

Yes, you are right:
  • changed Mobo
  • changed PSU
  • used 2 GPUs alternatively
  • used same RAM modules but instead of plugging the 8 of them used only 1 or 2 in the recommended positions. I tried the 8 DIMMs
  • CPU and cooler are the same
  • I flashed BIOs like 10 times, cleared CMOs through jumper and mobo's button and also removed the battery for over 1 hour

I truly do not know what else I can do but getting the CPU replaced. And AMD is not responding timely

I really appreciate your interest in helping me on this issue

Jan 23, 2021
It might help to list all the parts your using.

Here there is my setup:

• MSI Creator TRX40 Motherboard, replaced by Asus Zenith II Extreme Alfa
  • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960x
  • Cooler Master ML360 RGB AIO pump
  • 256 GB DDR4 8x32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
  • EVGA LP2
It might help to list all the parts your using.
  • EVGA P2 1600 PSU
  • 2xmsi 2080ti trio 11GB GPUs
  • 2x 1TB ssd samsung 970 Evo plus

For the tests right now I only have the mobo, 1 DIMM, cpu + cooler, no SSDs, no GPUs, psu, no connection other than ATX 24pin power connector, 2x8 pin CPu connector, pump and cpu fan power

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Here there is my setup:

• MSI Creator TRX40 Motherboard, replaced by Asus Zenith II Extreme Alfa
  • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960x
  • Cooler Master ML360 RGB AIO pump
  • 256 GB DDR4 8x32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
  • EVGA LP2

• EVGA P2 1600 PSU
  • 2xmsi 2080ti trio 11GB GPUs
  • 2x 1TB ssd samsung 970 Evo plus
For the tests right now I only have the mobo, 1 DIMM, cpu + cooler, no SSDs, no GPUs, psu, no connection other than ATX 24pin power connector, 2x8 pin CPu connector, pump and cpu fan power
You got to use 1 video card.

Jan 23, 2021
Hi all,

I am doing a complex troubleshooting for a hardware problem in my PC and I need to isolate the issue trying to identify the culprit

Can you tell me which is the minimum set of components I need to do a successful POST? Currently my PC is resetting all the time before being able to enter the BIOS setup.

I removed all possible HW and I have the motherboard seating on an antistatic pad with the CPU + Cooler connected and 1 DIMM memmory + PSU.

I removed all the PC box cabling from the motherboard except for the ATX connector + 2x8 pin CPU connectors + cooler pump + CPUFAN

Connecting or not connecting the GPU doesn´t change the situation

Thank you
You got to use 1 video card.

I used 1, 2 and no GPU and the result is exactly the same sequence in 2 different mobos.

That's why I think it must be the CPU

What do you think?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Unplug the pump. For boot purposes you'll be good for several minutes. All you'll need is a fan plugged into cpu_fan to clear any safety precautions. If that has any internal shorts, it'll back feed into the mobo, and mess up the post process.

Stick the mobo on the motherboard box, don't use the anti-static bag. Anti-static bags are electrically conductive, they have to be, just to dissipate any electrical fields. They have a protective coating on the outside, but if that's pierced (easy enough to do with motherboard solder points) or scratched, it's no different than sticking the mobo on a metal table.

If nothing changes from a breadboard, and the mobo has been replaced, ram changed, etc etc then the only 2 items left are the cooler and cpu. If you can eliminate the cooler as a suspect, all that's left is the cpu.

Jan 23, 2021
Unplug the pump. For boot purposes you'll be good for several minutes. All you'll need is a fan plugged into cpu_fan to clear any safety precautions. If that has any internal shorts, it'll back feed into the mobo, and mess up the post process.

Stick the mobo on the motherboard box, don't use the anti-static bag. Anti-static bags are electrically conductive, they have to be, just to dissipate any electrical fields. They have a protective coating on the outside, but if that's pierced (easy enough to do with motherboard solder points) or scratched, it's no different than sticking the mobo on a metal table.

If nothing changes from a breadboard, and the mobo has been replaced, ram changed, etc etc then the only 2 items left are the cooler and cpu. If you can eliminate the cooler as a suspect, all that's left is the cpu.

I tried unpluggin pump for few seconds and nothing changes

I placed the board over cartboard and same thing. Actually the antistatic looks plastic outside and the Zenith II extreme alfa is shielded on the back so I don´t think the pins onthe back touched it

Anyway I tried. Thanks for your ideas. If you have any new suggestions let me know

Thank you very much for helping me

Jan 23, 2021

One fact concerning me the most is that in both the MOBO´s display and the leds during POST I can see that both memory checks and CPU checks look good. leds turn on, the codes on the display progress and then restart again. If CPU was defective shouldn´t the test stop at CPU?

Cheers

Jan 23, 2021
One fact concerning me the most is that in both the MOBO´s display and the leds during POST I can see that both memory checks and CPU checks look good. leds turn on, the codes on the display progress and then restart again. If CPU was defective shouldn´t the test stop at CPU?

Cheers

Well, last Tuesday I received the confirmation from AMD that RMA was received, accepted and a replacement shipped to me. Yesterday I received another mail with the tracking number. Let's see how it works when I receive the new part.

---------------------------------------------

Dear Daniel ,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:xxxxxx]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for your email.
Please be informed, the RMA# xxxxxxxx has been authorized for your Threadripper 3960X processor with (SN# xxxxxxxxx ).
The replacement part for RMA# xxxxxxxxx has been shipped via DHL tracking# xxxxxxxxx

In order to update this service request, please respond without deleting or modifying the service request reference number in the email subject or in the email correspondence below.

Please Note: This service request will automatically close if we do not receive a response within 10 days and cannot be reopened.

If it is not feasible to respond within 10 days, feel free to open a new service request and reference this ticket for continued support.

Best regards,

-------------------------------------------
Keep you guys posted

Jan 23, 2021
Dear all,

the issue has been solved. AMD shipped back to me a new processor 6 days after RMA application and it works just fine.

So, it was the CPU. Mistery solved!

Now the only thing I would like to know is how a perfectly working CPU turned damaged without any intervention, no overclocking, no power outage. I was just saving a file and the computer died. So weird

Actually for having a successful post I had eventually to connect: PSU, Mother Board, CPU, 1 DIMM, 1 HDD and 1 GPU. Without HDD despite you can start, the display on the motherboard would report POST failed (My mothetboard is the ASUS Zenith II Extreme Alfa)

Cheers and thank you all for your help!

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
So, it was the CPU. Mistery solved!

Now the only thing I would like to know is how a perfectly working CPU turned damaged without any intervention, no overclocking, no power outage. I was just saving a file and the computer died. So weird
agreed, weird, maybe a manufacturing defect?

Cheers and thank you all for your help!
NP :D
Glad you got it sorted