Which Mission Cyrus amp (I, II, III or IIIi) sounds best? ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi,

I am a happy Mission Cyrus One amp owner for 15 years now. It surely is
not the best amp ever, but its distinctive character really suits my
taste... Recently I was offered to buy used Cyrus II or/and Cyrus III
(not IIIi version).

My Cyrus One is from 1990, it is the last revision and according to
different sources it should be the best...

The Cyrus Two is from July 1985 and the seller says it is some
Anniversary edition (it has silver knobs that are engraved(?)).
He said that all the components are specially selected and paired and
stuff like that... What anniversary can it be? I couldn't find any info
on the web and I'm wondering if he is bulls#*^ing me, since I've read
that those knobs are easy to scratch - so maybe he just polished them?

Anyway, I've read some rumors in various forums that One actually
sounds more "musical" than Two, despite its lower power...
I've also read that since Mission was constantly refining their Cyrus
line, 1990 versions should de better than 1985 versions for both One
and Two.

So should I bother with the Two?
The old PSX power supply is also almost impossible to be found in my
part of the world...

On the other side the Two is supposed to have superior phono section
and I have couple thousands of LPs

Enter the Cyrus III...

I can also buy this one used. It is somewhat different to One and Two's
minimalist concept. Internet rumors say that it was actually a step
back from Cyrus Two - especially the phono section
(even no MC capability), but on the other side it got some awards - BFA
amp of the year in 1996 etc....

What is the difference between III and IIIi that replaced it shortly.
Was III really bad that "i" version was needed - on Cyrus website it is
stated that IIIi is a completely different design...

The plus point for III is that it accepts PSX-r supply that is still in
production.

So, what do you think?

Aleksandar

mark

I have the cyrus 3 + psx-r in a second system ...the power supply is a
significant improvement.
I find the phono stage to be excellent , although as you say ...no mc
input.......but if the cyrus 1 really suits your taste , why change ?

"AleksandarK" <kphotosk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am a happy Mission Cyrus One amp owner for 15 years now. It surely is
> not the best amp ever, but its distinctive character really suits my
> taste... Recently I was offered to buy used Cyrus II or/and Cyrus III
> (not IIIi version).
>
> My Cyrus One is from 1990, it is the last revision and according to
> different sources it should be the best...
>
> The Cyrus Two is from July 1985 and the seller says it is some
> Anniversary edition (it has silver knobs that are engraved(?)).
> He said that all the components are specially selected and paired and
> stuff like that... What anniversary can it be? I couldn't find any info
> on the web and I'm wondering if he is bulls#*^ing me, since I've read
> that those knobs are easy to scratch - so maybe he just polished them?
>
> Anyway, I've read some rumors in various forums that One actually
> sounds more "musical" than Two, despite its lower power...
> I've also read that since Mission was constantly refining their Cyrus
> line, 1990 versions should de better than 1985 versions for both One
> and Two.
>
> So should I bother with the Two?
> The old PSX power supply is also almost impossible to be found in my
> part of the world...
>
> On the other side the Two is supposed to have superior phono section
> and I have couple thousands of LPs
>
> Enter the Cyrus III...
>
> I can also buy this one used. It is somewhat different to One and Two's
> minimalist concept. Internet rumors say that it was actually a step
> back from Cyrus Two - especially the phono section
> (even no MC capability), but on the other side it got some awards - BFA
> amp of the year in 1996 etc....
>
> What is the difference between III and IIIi that replaced it shortly.
> Was III really bad that "i" version was needed - on Cyrus website it is
> stated that IIIi is a completely different design...
>
> The plus point for III is that it accepts PSX-r supply that is still in
> production.
>
> So, what do you think?
>
> Aleksandar

Status