[SOLVED] Which mobo runs both Windows and Linux without issues?

ShaQBlogs

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2016
I was planning to buy i5 11400 and was recommended to pair it with B560 mobo.

I ran into some threads where users were reporting issues about ASRock and Linux.

Would any of these mobos have issues running Linux?

Asrock B560 Pro4
Asus Prime B560 Plus
Asrock B560 Steel Legend

Solution
Unless they said specific things about a problem, I would put that down to user error. Or maybe unfamiliarity with Linux.

What 'issues', specifically?
It also depends on which version of Linux/which kernel. To run the latest motherboards, you have to have the newest kernel to support them.

ShaQBlogs

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2016
Unless they said specific things about a problem, I would put that down to user error. Or maybe unfamiliarity with Linux.

What 'issues', specifically?
A quick Google search shows lots of users complaining about ASRock mobos.
For example, One user on reddit could not get the Steel legend 2.5G dragon ethernet to work. Ended up buying a card.
I was a little surprised when I saw these posts.

Whose is responsible for ensuring the drivers work in Linux? Is it the OS or the mobo manufacturer?

I agree, unfamiliarity with Linux is usually the cause of over 90%of such problems.

ShaQBlogs

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2016
The safest thing to do is get one with an Intel 1GE network port. Next safe would be the 1GE Realtek. The 2.5GE Intel would be next and then the Realtek 2.5GE.
If you need faster than 1GE you should get an Intel 10GE card.
I was looking to purchase the Asrock Steel Legend. The extra ports for future proofing + it has more fan outputs. I have 6 chasis fans which help me run my hard disks cool. However it has 2.5G ethernet.

Would you recommend to get a 1GE network card with that mobo?

kanewolf

Titan
I was looking to purchase the Asrock Steel Legend. The extra ports for future proofing + it has more fan outputs. I have 6 chasis fans which help me run my hard disks cool. However it has 2.5G ethernet.

Would you recommend to get a 1GE network card with that mobo?
Just be aware that the 2.5 Gb ports have had issues. Get the latest driver from the manufacturer.

Reactions: ShaQBlogs