Question Which mobo to choose with i5 8400

Status
Not open for further replies.

shad0wboss

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Hey guys,

I have a build where my previous ASRock z370 died and so I am now looking for a new mobo. I am very confused whether I should go for a cheap z390 or B360. My current parts are as followed:
  • i5 8400
  • 8GB DDR4 2400 mhz
  • 550W corsair copper
  • RX 580 4 GB Nitro+

I am leaning towards Asus ROG Strix B360-F or MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

PS: I am avoiding ASRock at all costs due to their bad customer service.

Thanks

I would go with Asus, but thats me. For the past 10 years ive been using only Asus boards, have built one computer for a friend with and Asrock, because thats what he wanted, board and it was nothing but troubles.

Being that you have a i5 8400 i would say you dont need a Z board, but if you ever upgrade the CPU to a K series it will come in handy for overclocking to get a few more years out of the cpu.

shad0wboss

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
So you are saying that there's no need to get a z board with this CPU? How about the passive cooling of the boards, voltage etc. I have read a lot of complicated things about mobos recently and it confuses me whether these things matter that much for a board or not.

logainofhades

Titan
Complaining about Asrock cs, and choosing Asus is like leaving the frying pan, to jump into the fire. I personally have never had an issue with Asrock's cs, but Asus's is terrible. What is the make/model, of your power supply? I only ask because a low quality unit can cause issues, and kill hardware. Given your CPU, and ram, you could get buy with a B360 board.

shad0wboss

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Complaining about Asrock cs, and choosing Asus is like leaving the frying pan, to jump into the fire. I personally have never had an issue with Asrock's cs, but Asus's is terrible. What is the make/model, of your power supply? I only ask because a low quality unit can cause issues, and kill hardware. Given your CPU, and ram, you could get buy with a B360 board.

I have Corsair CX550...

I ended up ordering Asus ROG Strix B360-F but if there are some other good motherboards with B360, let me know as I can still change the order

To each their own, current boards that i have bought and are still running from Asus

Rampage 3 extreme bought with a i7 950 @ 4.9Ghz, running a 980x @ 4.2Ghz now
Maximus IV Gene-Z running a 2500k @ 5.1Ghz
Maximus IV Gene-Z running a 2600k @ 5.0Ghz
Maximus vii hero running a 4670k @ 4.8Ghz
Maximus X Hero Running a 8700k @ 5.1Ghz

The only board i had an issue with was the Rampage 3 extreme board and that was because the motherboard water block leaked and killed the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS