Question Which model 1000W PSU to run dual 1080 Tis (rendering, no SLI)?

magicalkhajiit

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Looking at 1000W PSUs to run a 2x 1080 Ti system for 3D rendering (& gaming).

Overwhelmed:

- This range is normally pricy, and right now it's even worse. There's NOTHING good in stock anywhere. So I'm looking at used/refurb/etc. deals.

- I'm referencing a couple of tier lists (even though some people say not to use them, it's a helpful starting point because I have no clue). (LTT & another)

- Also skimming reviews on Tom's Hardware, JohnnyGURU, reddit posts, etc.

I have about 5 different OneTab lists for this already... info overload. Is an "A- tier" PSU really a bad idea? Am I going to melt something by using an FSP, Silverstone, one of the "lowlier" EVGAs like a GQ?

I'd really appreciate a 2nd opinion regarding brand/model. Thanks.

Indeed pricing right now is terrible for good PSUs. I blame EVGA for not keeping the great relationship with SUPERFLOWER alive. The G2 and G3 SUPERNOVAS were very awesome and priced nicely for a long time, but that stock is just about run out. No one wants the FSP or Channel Well platform stuff. That leaves Seasonic, which is terribly overpriced right now.

I'm not allowed to comment on dealings inside my company. However I will note that certain power circuitry components are in short supply even for mega-corps. This is having unexpected side effects.

That said, I wouldn't touch any used power supply unless it has excellent reviews and is still under warranty. (Make sure they have an invoice or receipt as proof of purchase date often required for warranty coverage.) Power supplies do degrade with age. The paste capacitors start losing capacity and become noisy. This is even more true of cheap Chinese caps. But even good quality Japanese paste caps will decay with time.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
No one wants the FSP or Channel Well platform stuff.

Interesting way to say that no-one wants Corsair RMx/RMi/HX and be quiet! Straight Power 11 / Dark Power Pro 11.
Seasonic and Super Flower aren't the only OEMs with good platforms out there.

You should start with telling us what's your budget and where you are from, OP.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Indeed. No one would choose one of those if a LEADEX were available for similar price.
Which one ? Leadex III / III ARGB is good, for sure, if it's same price or cheaper than RMx. Leadex Platinum / Titanium ? You can generally get Corsair HX/HXi/AX for much cheaper. Leadex II ? Even if it's same price as Corsair RMx i'd still prefer the latter because it's much quieter. be quiet! pricing is suboptimal in USA/Canada/Australia but they're quite cheap in EU, so they replace Corsair there in my examples. Seasonic can be quite cheap too tho although if we consider their PRIME series vs Corsair RMi, they're pretty comparable performance wise but the latter has much better fan and it's cheaper most of the time too.
It all depends on price, you can't just say that some brand is better than other, but which specific units are better than others.

Last edited:
Indeed pricing right now is terrible for good PSUs. I blame EVGA for not keeping the great relationship with SUPERFLOWER alive. The G2 and G3 SUPERNOVAS were very awesome and priced nicely for a long time, but that stock is just about run out. No one wants the FSP or Channel Well platform stuff. That leaves Seasonic, which is terribly overpriced right now.

LOL!

You're high.

Looking at 1000W PSUs to run a 2x 1080 Ti system for 3D rendering (& gaming).

Overwhelmed:

- This range is normally pricy, and right now it's even worse. There's NOTHING good in stock anywhere. So I'm looking at used/refurb/etc. deals.

- I'm referencing a couple of tier lists (even though some people say not to use them, it's a helpful starting point because I have no clue). (LTT & another)

- Also skimming reviews on Tom's Hardware, JohnnyGURU, reddit posts, etc.

I have about 5 different OneTab lists for this already... info overload. Is an "A- tier" PSU really a bad idea? Am I going to melt something by using an FSP, Silverstone, one of the "lowlier" EVGAs like a GQ?

I'd really appreciate a 2nd opinion regarding brand/model. Thanks.

Here you go:

https://www.newegg.com/rosewill-hercules-1600s-1600w/p/N82E16817182251?Item=N82E16817182251

Total overkill, but super cheap for what it is and plenty of inventory.

Left over from when Newegg thought they were going to make a fortune on the cryptocurrency mining craze only to have the container land the day after the crash.

Sorry it's not a Super Flower or Seasonic (LOL! J/K). It's made by Sirfa/Sirtec/Highpower and is a pretty darn solid unit:

magicalkhajiit

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Thanks all. I ended up getting an FSP Aurum PT 1200W (before I saw all these replies). It got a great review on JohnnyGURU (who, I see is here? hello!), was a good price, and still has warranty. It's also S- or 1- tier on a few lists. Only concern is that it's a bit old, I think 2015 or so model. Hopefully it'll be fine.

I didn't state my budget because it's not like there are so many in-stock choices right now that there's much wiggle room. Everything is around USD $200, with a few exceptions. I didn't want to go higher than that.