Which monitor do I go for?

TomSkini

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
So I currently play on a 60hz monitor and thought I should upgrade as my PC can get way over 60 fps in most games at 1080p.. Originally I was sure I would go for a 1080p 144hz monitor in the form of the Asus VG248QE which is very reliable choice from what I've heard. However, after looking into AMD's new FreeSync technology I'm not so sure. As I'm sure a lot of people on this site have heard, a few freesync compatible monitors have been released recently, and not only do they supposedly prevent screen tearing from occurring but they are also 1440p and have a refresh rate of 144hz.

So this is my dilemma, do I go for the Asus which is around £250 at the moment or do I spend a fair bit more and go for a freesync monitor? I have the cash to get it but will it be worth it? Another thing I should add is that I have a crossfire set-up and the latest AMD beta driver doesn't support crossfire for the freesync technology, apparently support for crossfire configurations will be available some time this month but I'm doubting how successful it will be.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help

How much is a fair bit more? Because there is no difference between the two monitors in performance. What freesync does is remove screen tearing
797px-Tearing_%28simulated%29.jpg

TomSkini

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
I could go up to like 450 pounds right now, which is how much the new Acer freesync monitor costs here. No difference in performance? - the resolution is better for the Acer monitor. Yeh thanks but I'm aware of what it does but my main concern is over the crossfire support thing. I guess nobody will know into they release the next AMD driver.