Which Monitor listed For Productivity Work?

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Hello

I have a Asus PB278Q 1440p monitor that I use for gaming and graphic design, 3D design, and movie editing.

I want to get a better monitor.

Is the Asus PB279Q 27" 4K monitor good or should I go for the ASUS PA279Q 27" 10 bit 100% Adobe RGB monitor?

Or should I keep what I have?

Will any of the two above be ok for gaming?

Solution

Your message title / content addressed productivity and gaming.

Used to be if you wanted to do both photo editing and gaming, you had two monitors. The IPS panels were too slow and had "glow" issues related to low light conditions. OTOH, when you edited Grandmas "glamor shots" that she had done cause mom took her for them on her 65th birthday, and you edited them on a 6 bit TN monitor, granny game out looking like a saloon madam in an old western movie.

Today's best IPS panels, with a little help from nVidia's ULMB technology that comes with G-Sync (no Freesync equivalent) works well in both scenarios. For production work, need will be...
Your question is kinda impossible to answer w/o knowing what is feeding the monitor. On the other hand, I'd consider anything that can't maintain 60 fps in gaming as inadequate and no currnt pair of GPUs is capable of that ... likely won't be for another 2 generations (the next one after pascal).

At this point we are recommending 1440p IPS screens at 144 / 165 / 200 Hz screens for multi use applications (gaming / multimedia / CAD / Graphic design) such as the Acer predator ZB270HU and Asus PG279Q (both 8 bit). If the level of your Graphics work is such that you need the 10 bit, going there also has its downsides in the gaming side.

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008

I am using a GTX980ti. So a 4K monitor is not good to have for productivity?

You don't need aRGB. The global standard is sRGB. A "4k" monitor may be useful, but in most applications it's not, not to mention how small things will appear. A 980 Ti can't do 10 bit, and even if it could, the application have to support it as well, which is rare. And, for productivity you don't need an accurate monitor, that's the biggest myth known to man. There are waveforms, levels, channels, histgrams, etc. You can achieve perfect colors on a low end TN. The best compromise would be 1440, unless you're comfortable with a 40" 3 feet away from you.

Your message title / content addressed productivity and gaming.

Used to be if you wanted to do both photo editing and gaming, you had two monitors. The IPS panels were too slow and had "glow" issues related to low light conditions. OTOH, when you edited Grandmas "glamor shots" that she had done cause mom took her for them on her 65th birthday, and you edited them on a 6 bit TN monitor, granny game out looking like a saloon madam in an old western movie.

Today's best IPS panels, with a little help from nVidia's ULMB technology that comes with G-Sync (no Freesync equivalent) works well in both scenarios. For production work, need will be determined by your software and who you work for, but short of "fashion magazine work", these monitors will do just fine.

As for 4k, you said that you wanted to game, and no existing card or pair of cards can give you a consistent 60 fps. You want wanna think about using ULMB until you get up to 85 or so. Furthermore the current display port can't deliver 120/144/165/200 Hz at 4k so investing in 4k before this support is available is unwise to my eyes.

Solution