Question Which monitor panel is the most durable?

Boopig

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2014
Hey guys.

To make a long story short, I live in the countryside. During the night, especially during the summer when the windows needs to be open. I get invaded by swarms of insects, moths, mostly. That really take a liking to my nice, bright and warm LCD monitors.

This isn't normally a problem. However, Hawk Moths have had a very busy season. And there are a lot of them. And they are very big.

I've had my secondary monitor ruined by these moths. They fly into the monitor and kill pixels. I've also had little tiny insects crawl into the display itself!

So I ask you, which monitor is the most durable. I know very little about them, I was wondering if a specific panel has a glass display of sorts, much like newer TVs.

Any help or advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

Boopig

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2014
A moth can't fly into a monitor screen hard enough to kill a pixel.

Tiny insects crawling inside? That can only be prevented with a monitor with no vent holes.

I had one of those bugs inside once.
Hey, thanks for the reply.

The moths I'm talking about are Hawk Moths. They are very big and fly full speed into my monitors. I'll attach a picture.

So, fair enough. I can't stop bugs. But sure there is a panel that can take a hit or two?
Convolvulus-Hawk-moth-Mark-Parsons.jpg

Boopig

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2014
Would a nice set of window screens be a cheaper option?
I mean it would keep most bugs out of the room.
Especially the big ones.
Nice pic of the moth.
Sadly, a set of window screens won't fix the damage already done to my monitors. And if one moth is able to lay its larvae in my room. It's game over. Besides, they're getting old a need replacing within a year or so. I just want to future proof my monitors for next year.

Asus use to make acouple glass protected monitors , bot they were 20inch size.
The only thing I know of now are NEC or industrial monitors.
Both are very costly options and are not great for gaming or extended desktop use. The glass layer does produce some double image effects . And a slight blurriness that can cause headaches and eye strain with extended use.

Boopig

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2014
Asus use to make acouple glass protected monitors , bot they were 20inch size.
The only thing I know of now are NEC or industrial monitors.
Both are very costly options and are not great for gaming or extended desktop use. The glass layer does produce some double image effects . And a slight blurriness that can cause headaches and eye strain with extended use.
I see. Thanks for your help. I guess there really isn't anything I can do apart from employ preventative measures for next year. Thanks again!

Boopig

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2014
The caterpillars would need to eat before turning into moths, and would likely need to eat a lot of plants over an extended period to become a moth that large. So, I don't think you should be too concerned about giant moths developing inside your room. : D
Moths can also breed and grow inside too. They feed off food and fabrics.
As much as I love moths, I'm here about monitors specifically.

Tiny moths sure, large sphinx moths probably not. : P

As for the monitor, touchscreen monitors often have a protective layer in front of the panel, though that greatly limits your choices and adds to the cost. Maybe simply cutting a sheet of plexiglass to fit over the screen would help? Personally, I would try to keep moths out of the room though, as having them flying around a screen would get super annoying. : D

Boopig

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2014
Moths can also breed and grow inside too. They feed off food and fabrics.
As much as I love moths, I'm here about monitors.
Tiny moths sure, large sphinx moths probably not. : P

As for the monitor, touchscreen monitors often have a protective layer in front of the panel, though that greatly limits your choices and adds to the cost. Maybe simply cutting a sheet of plexiglass to fit over the screen would help? Personally, I would try to keep moths out of the room though, as having them flying around a screen would get super annoying. : D
Yeah. I think I've already come to the conclusion that it's doubtful I'll be able to get a monitor to suit my needs. I think the only thing I can do is to keep moths out of the room, to begin with. A net can keep the little moths out. But Hawk Moths (the big ones) can push straight through the sides of the net if it's not all pinned down.

Guess I'll just need some insect-killing spray at the ready if that does happen. Thanks for the help.