[SOLVED] Which monitor should I get?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

laker1706

Reputable
Jul 5, 2017
Hey guys! Need your help choosing a new monitor.
I play mostly flight sims where 4K gives you a big advantage seeing objects from further away(almost twice as far as with 1080p), and some shooter games as well(not anything fast pacey except for a little csgo, pubg, and bf)
I'm aiming for a size of 27'-29'
I'm currently leaning towards a 4K@60 although I'm still thinking about 2K@144
I'm currently using a terrible 25' 1920x1200 11 years old TV and I've never tried 120hz+ monitor or 4K gaming.
Budget is 500$ tops.
I'm buying in the US but I don't live there so I guess I should stay away from high fault/dead pixels rate monitors.
I do know what every detail means but I am pretty lost in all of them and have no idea whether I want IPS/TN and 1ms or higher.
Thank you!

Solution
For the price, I'd say the K650. It's a better balance of upgrades, above low end performance but won't trash the wallet like the UD88 will for usb type-C you won't use or most of the other gimmicks and gizmos. I set my monitors up over 6 years ago and haven't touched a button since. No need.

There's always something better. If you want the best, that little 27" will run $5500+ for an Eizo monitor. But for what your pc has under the hood, anything decent will work just fine, the question being just how much money is justified expense and how much extra do you get for it. And looks count too. A lot. It's a lot of money for something you may consider cheap looking, or ugly. Which ruins the experience.
Hard to say because I don't see any reviews of that model that I would consider to be reputable reviews. Usually, with power supplies and monitors, if there are no reputable reviews from a source we consider to be reputable, there is a very good reason for it.

Two potentially good reasons anyhow. Either the manufacturer knows it will get ripped apart by an experienced and knowledgeable reviewer so they refrain from sending out any review samples to those who are most respected in that area of expertise, OR, lacking any review samples sent out, the reviewers do not feel the unit, based on what they know of it already, is worth spending any of their budget that is allocated to purchasing additional models for review which have not been offered by manufacturers, because they can already surmise that it is going to be a waste.

There are several places, for monitors, where I would highly trust the reviews that are offered.

Rtings, TFT central, our site Tom's hardware (Although TBH, I take these with a grain of salt since the quality of our reviews has diminished over the last two years), pcmonitors.info, Techspot, GamersNexus (Rarely does in depth monitor reviews) and sometimes TechPowerUP. If there isn't a review on one of those sites, I generally won't even consider a display, at least for the US market. Obviously, monitors are one thing that is often only regionally available so there could be a very good model available somewhere with no reviews on any of those sites because it's availability is so limited, or regionally restricted, that they would either never be able to get one or the target audience is so small as to not make doing one worth it, or even possible.

That is not to say that there aren't smaller, country or regionally specific review sites worth looking at, sometimes there are, but generally I don't bother with them or even see them in my own results because they are in different languages and translations still really suck, or I simply can't judge if they are trustworthy or not because they tend to not be in as much depth as these others.

Reactions: laker1706

laker1706

Reputable
Jul 5, 2017
Hard to say because I don't see any reviews of that model that I would consider to be reputable reviews. Usually, with power supplies and monitors, if there are no reputable reviews from a source we consider to be reputable, there is a very good reason for it.

Two potentially good reasons anyhow. Either the manufacturer knows it will get ripped apart by an experienced and knowledgeable reviewer so they refrain from sending out any review samples to those who are most respected in that area of expertise, OR, lacking any review samples sent out, the reviewers do not feel the unit, based on what they know of it already, is worth spending any of their budget that is allocated to purchasing additional models for review which have not been offered by manufacturers, because they can already surmise that it is going to be a waste.

There are several places, for monitors, where I would highly trust the reviews that are offered.

Rtings, TFT central, our site Tom's hardware (Although TBH, I take these with a grain of salt since the quality of our reviews has diminished over the last two years), pcmonitors.info, Techspot, GamersNexus (Rarely does in depth monitor reviews) and sometimes TechPowerUP. If there isn't a review on one of those sites, I generally won't even consider a display, at least for the US market. Obviously, monitors are one thing that is often only regionally available so there could be a very good model available somewhere with no reviews on any of those sites because it's availability is so limited, or regionally restricted, that they would either never be able to get one or the target audience is so small as to not make doing one worth it, or even possible.

That is not to say that there aren't smaller, country or regionally specific review sites worth looking at, sometimes there are, but generally I don't bother with them or even see them in my own results because they are in different languages and translations still really suck, or I simply can't judge if they are trustworthy or not because they tend to not be in as much depth as these others.

So I'm going back to my previous question,
Is the ul500 now the best choice since it is 100$ cheaper, and if its worth paying extra, still there are so many models(K600/650, L600/650).
I guess they are extremely similar so I'll prefer to get the one with the best response time and input lag but I don't know which on is that.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Just from comparison at LG site, the ul500 is more a standard monitor with visible bezels on the sides and 98% color gammut. The uk650 upgrades to semi borderless 3 side bezels and 99%, the ud88 bumps it again with all that and more gizmos like type-C usb. So I don't see it as being much of a difference, but more as aesthetics appeal and more than likely there's additional things in the controls that allow greater areas of personalization.

You are paying more for the power windows, and more again to get power door locks and trunk over the base model.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For the price, I'd say the K650. It's a better balance of upgrades, above low end performance but won't trash the wallet like the UD88 will for usb type-C you won't use or most of the other gimmicks and gizmos. I set my monitors up over 6 years ago and haven't touched a button since. No need.

There's always something better. If you want the best, that little 27" will run $5500+ for an Eizo monitor. But for what your pc has under the hood, anything decent will work just fine, the question being just how much money is justified expense and how much extra do you get for it. And looks count too. A lot. It's a lot of money for something you may consider cheap looking, or ugly. Which ruins the experience.

Reactions: laker1706
Solution