[SOLVED] Which monitor size is ideal for viewing from afar?

kifirefox

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2014
I wish I could see images and text from far away from the PC, but not too big a screen so I don't have to look up and sideways too much. I want to see from a distance of at most 2 meters away, to see from the bed or with a distant chair. I don't want smart tv, I think I'd rather use a PC and monitor than a smart tv for that.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You can still use a smart TV as a dumb display. I've been doing that for years with an HTPC.

Really depends on what you want to spend. TVs are generally cheaper.

47" OLED 'monitor' would have better than good response times like a monitor.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/NM4Ycf/gigabyte-aorus-fo48u-475-3840x2160-monitor-fo48u

You can get crap 55" TVs for as little as $240, but up to the $400-500 range you can get name brand Samsungs, LGs, Sony...

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I've found those calculators to be a little conservative. They are going with the physics and not necessarily the user experience.

If you are consuming content only then you just see a smaller screen. If you are trying to read 12 type font, that is another matter.

I can certainly read closed captions on small displays at a great distance, my vision is a little worse than 20/20 these days. Generally a quite large font with high contrast. I can read webpages on a 27" screen at about 12-16ft just by zooming to about 150-200%, depending on the site.

By those calculators, I would need an 85" screen. Which, granted, would fill my visual field a lot better.

Actually planning on replacing my old 27" with a 32" or 37" here shortly. Pretty sure I bought that thing in 2010.