kodousekroman

Commendable
Nov 23, 2018
Hi,
planning on buying new monitor. I chose these two but if you have any other suggestions, please let me know.
My requirements for new monitor is at least 144Hz, FHD and Freesync.
  1. Dell Alienware Monitor
  2. MSI Monitor
Prices: In Czech Republic prices are almost same for those two monitors, about 315$.
My system:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse
RAM: Patriot Viper 3000MHz 2x8GB
MB: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
PSU: EVGA 650W GQ
Should I go for higher refresh rate monitor even if I am not hitting those mark, also I want to be able to use Freesync to my advantage.
Thank you for your help.

Solution
I get it, it's 240Hz vs 144Hz but it's TN vs VA. Which is quite a big dilemma for me. I play games like PUBG from Fps, Wot, RDR2 and some other single player games.
You said that the price is very similar or the same, so I would go with the alienware one. The TN panel is great on the alienware, TN panels have come a long way. Personally, there is no question when it comes to 240 hz or VA, I would always go with 240 hz if the TN panel is just as good as the alienware.

artavasdes

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
I have the alienware one, it is amazing. It is a great monitor and the MSI one is kind of weak, it is only 144 hz. I would definitely go with the alienware one which is 240 hz. What kind of games do you play, do you play FPS games?

artavasdes

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
I get it, it's 240Hz vs 144Hz but it's TN vs VA. Which is quite a big dilemma for me. I play games like PUBG from Fps, Wot, RDR2 and some other single player games.
You said that the price is very similar or the same, so I would go with the alienware one. The TN panel is great on the alienware, TN panels have come a long way. Personally, there is no question when it comes to 240 hz or VA, I would always go with 240 hz if the TN panel is just as good as the alienware.

Reactions: kodousekroman
Solution

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
Just a brief explaination on panel technology:
TN: best refresh rates/response times, worst colors of the 3, worst viewing angles.
VA: best contrast (better blacks), good colors, worse viewing angles than IPS but better than TN, high refresh rate ones are not as pricy as IPS.
IPS: best colors, best viewing angles, high refresh rate ones are pricy.

PLS: Samsung's variant of IPS, claiming they are brighther and cheaper to produce.
AMVA: more similar to IPS.

Last edited:
Reactions: kodousekroman

artavasdes

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
Just a brief explaination on panle technology:
TN: best refresh rates/response times, worst colors of the 3, worst viewing angles.
VA: best contrast (better blacks), good colors, worse viewing angles than IPS but better than TN, high refresh rate ones are not as pricy as IPS.
IPS: best colors, best viewing angles, high refresh rate ones are pricy.

PLS: Samsung's variant of IPS, claiming they are brighther and cheaper to produce.
AMVA: more similar to IPS.
You are right, but VA is only necessary in average gaming monitors when it is curved. Also, TNs have gotten so good over the years, but I would pick TN and high refresh rate over VA and lower refresh rate. Also, the alienware he is talking about is a great monitor.

Reactions: sdedu77