which monitor would go best with this system?

chris78

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
hi this is my current setup

amd fx8350 @ 4.0ghz
Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3
corsair 16gb ram 1333mhz
Evga NVidia gtx 780
xfx 850 watt psu

what monitor should I go for that will best match my setup and is a 24" the best way to go, bear in mind I game on a Toshiba 32" lcd tv ?

Solution
Do you mean you're deciding between 1440p OR 144 Hz? If it's between the 2, I'd go 1440p, as you'll notice the details, and some people don't even like the look of the more fluid 144 Hz displays. It's kind of subjective though, down to your personal taste.

If you want both, I don't think they're very common yet. As a matter of fact, I can only find one on Amazon, the ASUS PG278Q ROG.

Again, knowing some basic monitor facts, I'd just do some searches for the features you want, and look for monitors with good reviews. As far as brands, I'm a fan of ViewSonic, Ben-Q, and Dell, personally. ASUS is legit, but I'd read reviews for the specific model, as some of the monitors I've bought from ASUS had build-quality issues.

Rapajez

Distinguished
Well, you probably want 1080p minimum, as anything lower would be a waste with the GTX 780. I'd probably bump up to a higher resolution like 1440p, but you may have to turn down settings in some games. (AA - Anti-Aliasing is a good one to start with.)

The size of the monitor itself comes down to personal taste...and how far away from the monitor you're sitting. Granted, if you're buying a higher resolution monitor, you probably want it to be larger, so you can see the difference. 24" and a 1440p monitor seems like a good start.

If you want better color and viewing angles, look for an IPS panel. Make sure the response time is low (7ms or lower), as some IPS screens can introduce ghosting/lag. Otherwise, TN panels are what gamers have been using for years.

With that in mind, just look for a well reviewed monitor in your price range, with the features above you're looking for.

Rapajez

Distinguished
Do you mean you're deciding between 1440p OR 144 Hz? If it's between the 2, I'd go 1440p, as you'll notice the details, and some people don't even like the look of the more fluid 144 Hz displays. It's kind of subjective though, down to your personal taste.

If you want both, I don't think they're very common yet. As a matter of fact, I can only find one on Amazon, the ASUS PG278Q ROG.

Again, knowing some basic monitor facts, I'd just do some searches for the features you want, and look for monitors with good reviews. As far as brands, I'm a fan of ViewSonic, Ben-Q, and Dell, personally. ASUS is legit, but I'd read reviews for the specific model, as some of the monitors I've bought from ASUS had build-quality issues.

Solution