Which monitors do not need V-sync enabled

New2pc

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Hi

I'm sorry if my question seems stupid to some people, but I am unsure what exactly a 100Hz + monitor will do to improve my perfomance in games

I have a 60hz monitor running at 1920 x 1080 the model is ... (AOC 2290FWT)

My Pc specs are

i5 650 3.2ghz dual core (Factory spec)
4gb Team elite ddr3 1333mhz (Factory spec)
AMD Powercolor HD 5870 (Factory spec)

With V-sync turned off I can hit 100Fps in most games running at max specs but with no AA or AF enabled. However I do not like screen tearing that I get without the v-sync so I always leave it on and run at, or very close to 60fps in my games

Will a 100hz monitor mean I can run games at 100fps without v-sync enabled and i will not see the screen tear?

If this is the right angle would a higher Hz monitor say 200hz mean a smoother picture with no chance of screen tear, Or am I missing something here?

Please help me with this question. Im not saying I wish to run out and upgrade my monitor as im happy with my current set up at the momment. Just need a clear answer so I can finally understand this.

Many thanks

Martin

minitron815

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
Screen tearing happens when the frame of your video card doesn't match up with the refresh of your monitor. Vertical Sync, by definition, matches these up and eliminates tearing.

I personally think video games look like *** without vsync on and only turned it off back during CS with CRT monitors when performance mattered more than visual quality. 100 fps on a 60 hz monitor isn't going to look any better than 60 fps.

Kari

Splendid
don't be fooled by 200Hz HDTVs, they are not real input signal hertzes, they will only accept signals up to 60Hz. Real pc-monitors do exist that can take 120Hz, though.

New2pc

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Ok so I eithier turn off v-sync and turn on triple buffering and add AA + AF to try and bring my frames down to 50-60. Or buy a Monitor that can take up to the 120hz posted and maintain my current settings?

Slowly reading the link posted :)

New2pc

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
I experimented with settings last night but was unable to get my FPS lower then 75 with v-sync off and AA+AF on.

Will this monitor

(Benq XL2410T 24" TRUE 120Hz 3D Widescreen LED Monitor - Black **ZOWIE SPECIAL EDITION**)

Suit my needs? i.e. v-sync left on

bystander wrote:

The main advantage to having a higher hz monitor is that you have a higher FPS cap when v-sync is on. That also means that you can see more displayed FPS either way.