Which Motherboard & CPU set up would be best for TITAN X SLI? Got two options

radekrat

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
Hi
I managed to get some cheap parts on e-bay and was going to build a PC for myself and sell the rest if not needed.
Got two options in terms of CPU and motherboard:
1. ASUS RAMPAGE IV with i7 3930k
2. ASUS Z170-DELUXE with i7 6700k

This will be running two Titan X in SLI.

Did some reading earlier but not sure which to go with. The i7 6700k has only got 16 pcie lines and think this will affect performance of two TITANs. the i7 3930k is slower core and older technology but supports 40pcie lanes. Is this important?

Please advise. I haven't got any more money to play with really, but potentially can upgrade in a year or two if needed.

This will be used for Gaming and Video editing (amateur home videos of my family) and other stuff.

Which would be most suitable for the two TITANS I got?

Thanks

Solution
http://www.tested.com/tech/457440-theoretical-vs-actual-bandwidth-pci-express-and-thunderbolt/

Older article but the point still stands. You won't notice the difference. Go with the newer equipment for its ither advantages.

thijsvl11

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
if you are going to do cpu intensive tasks i reccomend the i7-6700k because the 8x operation doesnt really inpact the performance, otherwise the 3930k is a very good option, but keep in mind that the 3930k is a pretty old chip.
Good luck

radekrat

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015

Thank you. I was hoping to get one of those 4960x chips at some point as they do float around where I work and go really cheap.

With regards to gaming and benchmarks - would I see a difference in the scores and performance?

I want to make sure I have the best base for my two Titan X.

Namdhda

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
http://www.tested.com/tech/457440-theoretical-vs-actual-bandwidth-pci-express-and-thunderbolt/

Older article but the point still stands. You won't notice the difference. Go with the newer equipment for its ither advantages.

Solution