cocokid50036

Commendable
Apr 6, 2018
Im going to be building a new pc sometime soon and have a few questions, one pertaining mostly to motherboards, the other would be power supply and ram related.
Im going to be getting a 2700x cpu, and have done some research on which motherboards would be good and which ones not so much, and have watched buildzoids videos on youtube, but he only give a single option in each category and Im looking for a few options for a single category.
So my needs are, thermals. it get fairly warm where my pc is located at, and cant move it to anywhere else in the house really. it gets roughly 70-80F (21- 26C) sometimes warmer depending what games im playing or what my pc is doing, and also have 2 pcs in this room running, often at the same time.
I dont need any major overclocking motherboard, but i would like to run it at its rated boost speed.
I need an m.2 ssd

my setup right now im thinking will be:
ryzen 2700x
1 nvme ssd
1 2.5in ssd
2 HDD
RTX 2070 or 2080
color scheme is going to be black or silvery gunmetal/red

I dont really wanna spend much more then about $200-220 on a motherboard
I was watching buildzoids video and i was going to get the aorus ultra gaming, but he said he really doesnt recommend that due to poor power delivery it would get really hot.
Im just not confident in my ability to pick a good motherboard so here I am lol..

next issue is I have a hard time understanding ram timings and their role in use.
I seen that this was incredibly cheap for being 3600 mhz.. (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...roduct&RandomID=35466173236613420190501171210 ) even cheaper then some 3200 mhz so should be a steal right? hell if I know.. I dont really think I wanna go over 150 for ram.. but I just dont understand ram very well..

And lastly, the PSU
I was thinking somewhere around the 850-1000 watt area, or would that be overkill?
also I was reading not having enough amps on some of the ports could hinder stability, or cause physical harm to the pc.

Thanks for the help everyone :)

RAM - Have you seen Ryzen systems running 3600MHz RAM?? I don't think I have, but you can always run it slower for compatibility.

PSU - You need a good quality 650W PSU. You can go higher, but it would just be cushion room. Anything over 850W is pretty pointless unless you have something unusual going on. (*Don't look at my PSU, it's leftover from a 6x GPU mining rig.)

Motherboard - I went all out on my motherboard. Ended up my CPU could only do 4.2GHz stable overclock across all cores, and it needs a lot of voltage just to do that. I run my 2700X at stock, I don't really use the WiFi, and I don't use SLI (although I still could). I think I would have been just as well off with the ASUS Strix B450-F motherboard. But if you want the possibility of using SLI then go with an X470 board.

Boost Speed - Get a good aftermarket cooler for higher boost speeds. My stock 2700X boosts up to 4.340GHz single-core with no overclocking using NZXT Kraken X62 liquid cooler. Was lower than that with the stock cooler.

Sidenote - AMD Zen 2 is launching soon. If you can wait 1-2 months you can get Ryzen 3000 with X570 motherboard. Should be a good bit faster with more features.

Last edited:
Perhaps it's not such a bad idea to spend on a really good motherboard as it might be a decent investiment for future Zen 2 CPUs.
The Taichi is currently on sale for less than 200$, it's actually one of the best AM4 motherboards out there.

For the PSU, there's really no need for 1000w PSU, a good 700w is more than capable of the most high end CPUs and GPUs (2080ti). Get a good brand, like Seasonic and you will be good for a long time.

cocokid50036

Commendable
Apr 6, 2018
can anyone help me understand the ram timings? would it be better (I usually game and have done very very little video/photoshop editing) to have 3600 mhz ram, with (looser?) higher timings, or 3200 mhz with (tighter?) lower timings? i figured the $120 USD for 3600 mhz vs about the same or a little more for 3200 mhz would be a good decision, but I dont know or understand ram timings much

The benefit of timings and speed tend to vary depending on the application being used. For gaming, faster speed is typically better even with looser timings. You could go too loose on the timings and lose performance in some applications. But for gaming, 3600MHz with looser timings would be better. If I didn't already have my RAM, I would buy the 3600MHz kit.

cocokid50036

Commendable
Apr 6, 2018
if i do get the 3600 mhz then to get the most out of it ill also have to get the aorus gaming 7 which supports that speed or another mobo that does since you cant really force a motherboard to run faster then their supported speed right?