Which motherboard for gaming?

Kakorat119

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Hey guys,

Im building a new gaming pc and i need to pick a motherboard. I will use an i7, gtx 780 (evga acx oc edition), 2x8 gb ram, hyper 212 evo and a xfx 850 watt fully modular psu in a zalman z11plus case.

I need a mobo capable of SLI and has good built in audio, a good reputation and good price/performance. My budget is $130-140.

I'm currently looking as asus z87-a and asrock extreme 4, gigabyte z87x-ud3h and asrock z87 fatal1ty kille.

Any suggestions guys?

Solution
If your friends mobo shorted doesn't mean the entire brand is crap. Just bad luck, RMA and get a new one.
Also tried looking some differences up for that same platform (1150 socket).

Asus
Pro's:
- A bit faster performance
- ROG

Con's:
- Eats more power because of ROG

MSI
Pro's:
- Great mobo for overclockers (reading a lot of great reviews on stability and power consumption when overclocked)
- Great power consumption with a bit less performance (really not noticable on the performance part)

Con's:
- A bit less performance compared to the Asus one

This is what i could find after a quick search. Doubt it will really make a difference between the 2.
I have an MSI X79A GD45 Plus (2011 socket), i went with MSI after learning...

Kakorat119

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

But msi has a bad reputation for products, e.g. My friend, his msi mobo shorted out in less than 2 weeks of gaming.
So is asus z87-a the best option?

Kakorat119

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

Lol,
But the msi has like 90 revies with most saying its good, asus only has 30 reviews saying its good,
Which should I take?

LavyDunois

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
If your friends mobo shorted doesn't mean the entire brand is crap. Just bad luck, RMA and get a new one.
Also tried looking some differences up for that same platform (1150 socket).

Asus
Pro's:
- A bit faster performance
- ROG

Con's:
- Eats more power because of ROG

MSI
Pro's:
- Great mobo for overclockers (reading a lot of great reviews on stability and power consumption when overclocked)
- Great power consumption with a bit less performance (really not noticable on the performance part)

Con's:
- A bit less performance compared to the Asus one

This is what i could find after a quick search. Doubt it will really make a difference between the 2.
I have an MSI X79A GD45 Plus (2011 socket), i went with MSI after learning the stability / power consumption.

I recommend the MSI one. Maybe Gigabyte mobo's is something to consider / look at aswell?

Solution

LavyDunois

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014

Define "suck"? Slower times? Something else?
Price / Performance ratio MSI and Gigabyte score better then Asus from what i've read.

nashdes001

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013

+1

Kakorat119

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Guys, the only reason why I've tried to avoid the msi is cuz i heard(in reviews) that its bad for overclocking and has a worse reputation(for all products-not just mobo). I really like the asrock extreme . What do you guys say? Msi or asrock? Plus the asrock saves me a few $$ and has the same features(if not a few less).

LavyDunois

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014

MSI mobo's get used a lot for extreme liquid nitrogen overclocking. MSI stands out because of the stability of their mobo's OC. Might've been a bunch of Asus fanboy's bashing on MSI.

I prefer MSI or Gigabyte because of the price / performence then Asus which only increases performance by 5/10% with weird ROG software (eats more power) but you pay a premium of $100 average more.

Well thats my oppinion on it. Take it or leave it. :p

Kakorat119

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

Ok i will consider msi and gigabyte, maybe asus.