Which motherboard for i5-3570k

Tassepwns

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Hello, I just joined this site to ask you for help since I've been lurking here for some time and found some helpful answers about other stuff. But I wanted a specified answer for just me on this one. :)

I recently bought a new EVGA GTX 670 FTW for my PC but I feel it's getting bottlenecked by my i5-760 even though it's overclocked to 4.0Ghz.

So I was thinking I'd get a new CPU and got hooked on an i5-3570k, now to my question. What motherboard will go best with this to the best price, preferably sub $150 but if there's nothing out there to match that I understand of course.

Would be nice if it was SLi compatible for the future, nothing settled but it would be nice knowing I could just buy another GPU and not worry about the motherboard.

Thanks in advance and if there's something you need to know that I forgot to type, feel free to ask me :)

Tassepwns

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Okay, so I looked on Z77 Extreme4 and it looks fine in price and everything. I then read a little and saw that I pretty much have to get new RAM's since the ones I use now is 1,65v and the i5 3570k shouldn't be used with more than 1,5v. Any suggestions? :)

And also, I just looked at the money value (too lazy to check before, sorry). I would be able to go around $200 as I saw $150 was lower than I thought.

Tassepwns

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
No, I live in Sweden and I looked at Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4096mb) 1600mhz ddr3 CL8 as they were the lowest CL Corsair could offer at 8gb 1600mhz. Do you know any site that ships to Sweden to a fairly low cost because I've looked at newegg for instance and my setup would be like ~$250 cheaper if I buy it with US-Dollars.

If you are itching to spend the money then rock on, but I'm betting a 4Ghz clocked 760 does a fine job of feeding a 670.

Do you have some specific thing you're seeing that makes you think it's bottlenecked?

Tassepwns

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

I don't get the FPS out of the games that I'm expecting, I'm seeing almost no diffrence from my GTX 460 and I pretty much hope it's just bottlenecked :s

Tassepwns

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

I just noticed that you have pretty much the exact same rig I'm thinking of buying. Are you a gamer? If so, what games, how do they run and would you be able to stream them without problems? :)

Nope.

1.5 volts is for the JDEC profiles .... most XMP profiles for i5 and i7 RAM are 1.65. In fact, over 2/3 of the RAM on Intel's XMP compatible list were over 1.50 volts when the current i7's and i5's were released.

I have seen many posts saying "Well that's a MoBo manufacturer thing". No....

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/gaming-computers/intel-extreme-memory-profile-xmp.html

Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) allows you to overclock compatible DDR3 memory to perform beyond standard specifications. It’s designed to enhance the gaming features built into Intel® technology–based PCs. If you like to overclock and squeeze as much performance from your PC as possible, then memory based on Intel XMP gives you that extra edge you need to dominate—without breaking a sweat.1

Predefined and tested Intel XMP profiles can be loaded via BIOS or a specific tuning application through a computer’s operating system. Often the easiest way to load Intel XMP profiles is using a tuning utility, which may be available depending on the particular board manufacturer. To learn whether a tuning utility is available on your system, you should contact the board manufacturer.

So ya still say Intel says 1.5 ? Again, no.... at least according to Intel's compatibility lists. Even today, a large % of the RAM on Intel's approved and certified compatible RAM for i5's and i7's are 1.65 volts.

Intel's approved i5 Compatibilty List for i5's includes:

13 1.65 volt modules
14 1.50 volt modules

Hardly a mandate for 1.50 volts let alone an exclusion of all things 1.65 volts.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/gaming-computers/core-i5-processor-memory-datasheet.html
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/gaming-computers/core-i7-memory-suppliers-datasheet.html

Yes, given the choice available today, I'd probably buy 1.35 volt RAM over 1.65 all other things being equal. But under no circumstances should anyyone feel the need to throw away RAM that Intel themselves says is perfectly fine.

Tassepwns

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

So what you're saying is i'll be fine with my 1.65v rams? I might get new ones anyways to upgrade to 8gb but it would be nice knowing if I have to get new ones or if I can keep the ones I have for the time being.

BF3 is the big one. Ultra with MSAA off and Antialiasing Post high (similar to 4x MSAA without the fps hit - aka TXAA) I get a rock solid 60 fps with adaptive vsync on, up as high as 90 with it off.

Takes 4.1GHz to keep cpu utilization under 100% on the newer maps.

No idea if it would stream well. Would think you might need a 3770K for the extra threads since just playing it hammers the CPU.

Tassepwns

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Well, I'm not gonna stream BF3. I hardly ever even play it but my main games are League of Legends and World of Warcraft and I've been streaming a bit but my fps drops quite a bit and since I got my new GTX 670 I figured it must be my CPU that can't handle the streaming software while running the game. World of Warcraft is playable but League of Legends is pretty much a picture presentation from when I turn on the streaming software. :/ Don't get me wrong, the games play well while not streaming but it's so much fun streaming. :)

Tassepwns

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Haha, thanks and I know I could do that but I would have to upgrade sometime so why not now and be able to stream it? ;)