Which Motherboard for my I5-4670K

lewisjay1

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Hi guys I need some advice on which motherboard to go with the I5-4670k? I would like to be able to SLI/CrossFire depending on how much more the motherboard would cost me to buy to cater for that and it will be being paired with some Corsair LP (2x4GB) 1600MHZ, I would also be using a TX750M as my powersupply and I will be getting a new GPU at some point but will be using my GTX 550ti until I have the money. I have found these three but just wanted to know if there was any better ones for the price and for my needs.

Asus Z87 MAXIMUS VI GENE Intel Z87

Asus Z87 GRYPHON Intel Z87

MSI Z87M Gaming Series Intel Z87

Thanks in advance, Lewis.

enemy1g

Honorable
My top suggested board would be the ASUS Maximus VI Hero.

But you should base yor decision based off of whether or not a motherboard has all of the features and goodies that you want.

Other good boards that would be recommended are the ASUS Z87-A/PLUS/PRO, MSI Z87-GD45/65, ASRock Extreme6 Z87, or Gigabyte Z87-D3H (?).

Since you have a budget, I would forget about planning for dual cards.

Here is my canned rant on planning for dual cards:
-----------------------------Start of rant----------------------------------------------------
Dual graphics cards vs. a good single card.

a) How good do you really need to be?
A single GTX650/ti or 7770 can give you good performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.

A single GTX660 or 7850 will give you excellent performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.
Even 2560 x 1600 will be good with lowered detail.
A single gtx690,7990, GTX780ti or R9-290X is about as good as it gets for a single card.

Only if you are looking at triple monitor gaming, or a 4k monitor, might sli/cf will be needed.
Even that is now changing with triple monitor support on top end cards and stronger single card solutions.

b) The costs for a single card are lower.
You require a less expensive motherboard; no need for sli/cf or multiple pci-e slots.
Even a ITX motherboard will do.

Your psu costs are less.
A GTX660 needs a 430w psu, even a GTX780 only needs a 575w psu.
When you add another card to the mix, plan on adding 200w to your psu requirements.

Even the most power hungry GTX690 only needs 620w, or a 7990 needs 700w.

Case cooling becomes more of an issue with dual cards.
That means a more expensive case with more and stronger fans.
You will also look at more noise.

c) Dual gpu's do not always render their half of the display in sync, causing microstuttering. It is an annoying effect.
The benefit of higher benchmark fps can be offset, particularly with lower tier cards.
Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

d) dual gpu support is dependent on the driver. Not all games can benefit from dual cards.

e) dual cards up front reduces your option to get another card for an upgrade. Not that I suggest you plan for that.
It will often be the case that replacing your current card with a newer gen card will offer a better upgrade path.
The Maxwell and amd 8000 or 9000 series are due next year.
-------------------------------End of rant-----------------------------------------------------------

The i5-4670K is as good as it gets for gaming today.
Any Z87 based motherboard will oc to decent levels. Buy the cheapest one from your favorite brand.

Hi guys I need some advice on which motherboard to go with the I5-4670k? I would like to be able to SLI/CrossFire depending on how much more the motherboard would cost me to buy to cater for that and it will be being paired with some Corsair LP (2x4GB) 1600MHZ, I would also be using a TX750M as my powersupply and I will be getting a new GPU at some point but will be using my GTX 550ti until I have the money. I have found these three but just wanted to know if there was any better ones for the price and for my needs.

Asus Z87 MAXIMUS VI GENE Intel Z87

Asus Z87 GRYPHON Intel Z87

MSI Z87M Gaming Series Intel Z87

Thanks in advance, Lewis.

I think that you'll do well with any of the 3 that you have listed. They are all very good mATX boards. I'm partial toward MSI, but that's just me.

Good luck!

Yogi