Question Which motherboard? Gigabyte x570 Elite or Asus Strix x570-f? And x470 ASUS Crosshair VII Hero?

Dec 1, 2019
Hello, I am currently working on my build for a Ryzen 3700x.
Based on my needs (1440p gaming mostly, some audio editing, not planning to OC much) I came up with two (three actually) options.
Gigabyte Aorus x570 ELITE and ASUS ROG Strix 570-F.

Gigabyte is now priced around 200/210€ and ASUS 250€. I excluded ASUS TUF GAMING because of no intel LAN.
Gigabyte has more USB ports in the back that I actually need, it's cheaper but many people reported BIOS issues.
ASUS apparently has a more stable BIOS, other than that I don't know if the 40/50€ difference is worth it in terms of components or build quality or features.

I have to mention that the x470 ASUS Crosshair VII Hero is available at the same price (250€) of the x570-F but would I have to flash the bios to use my 3700x?
I would also lose the latest features of x570 and get a less futureproof MB but probably get better build quality and components.
Also worried about long term support of bios and drivers, but do you see it as a better option compared to the x570 I mentioned?

Any suggestion is welcome, thanks!

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Generally, the ASUS X570 motherboards have better VRM designs than Gigabyte... Although with a 3700x, that is rather moot. But if you plan to upgrade the CPU down the road to a 105-watt AMD CPU, the ASUS would be a better bet...

I cannot say the same for their X470 boards...

Reactions: Yadro
Hello, I am currently working on my build for a Ryzen 3700x.
Based on my needs (1440p gaming mostly, some audio editing, not planning to OC much) I came up with two (three actually) options.
Gigabyte Aorus x570 ELITE and ASUS ROG Strix 570-F.

Gigabyte is now priced around 200/210€ and ASUS 250€. I excluded ASUS TUF GAMING because of no intel LAN.
Gigabyte has more USB ports in the back that I actually need, it's cheaper but many people reported BIOS issues.
ASUS apparently has a more stable BIOS, other than that I don't know if the 40/50€ difference is worth it in terms of components or build quality or features.

I have to mention that the x470 ASUS Crosshair VII Hero is available at the same price (250€) of the x570-F but would I have to flash the bios to use my 3700x?
I would also lose the latest features of x570 and get a less futureproof MB but probably get better build quality and components.
Also worried about long term support of bios and drivers, but do you see it as a better option compared to the x570 I mentioned?

Any suggestion is welcome, thanks!
All of those boards have very good VRM designs with any differences minor and only worth discrimination if you're aiming for manual overclocking of 3900X or 3950X CPU's. I'd have to think any of them would handle a 3700x very comfortably, especially since my budget MSI B450 Mortar does.

Among that selection list I'd focus on feature sets important to you.

You'd only have to 'worry' about a BIOS update for the X470 board(s); X570 will come Ryzen 3000 ready since that chipset/board was made for the generation. But with any board, even X570, you SHOULD update to the latest BIOS as soon as you can since there are significant improvements you'll want to have with latest AGESA (1004b).

Long term support for BIOS updates is a big unknown since nobody knows with any certainty what AMD is doing (the BIOS core is the AGESA code which AMD controls). But if the past is any indicator, every board mfr has released BIOS updates for all their top-line boards for Ryzen 3000 CPU's with the latest AGESA code. The only issue is that some of them were slower about it than others.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019
Thanks for your replies! I think I will go and buy the Gigabyte Elite x570 then, the only thing I would miss are some fan headers but I can buy splitters and still save 50€ to go towards some nice fans.

Reactions: Yadro