Nika_1

Distinguished
May 20, 2016
Hello guys. So I want to build a Ryzen system and I was looking for the motherboards. I can't spend lot of money on the motherboards so I did my research and I have to make choice between 3 motherboards.
Gigabyte a520m Aorus Elite - 85$
Gigabyte b450 Aorus M - 95$
Third option is the combo - MSI TOMAHAWK MAX + R5 2600+Wraith Stealth Cooler - 240$
I don't want to overclock my CPU. I know MSI Tomahawk max has good VRM but b450 Aorus M has more features like dual bios, more USB ports, I think better audio codec, it also has lights which tell if the VGA or the CPU has a problem and also M.2 heatsink. A520 has upgrade path for future Ryzen CPUS.
What do you guys think I should buy? If I buy just a motherboard then I will buy R5 3500.
Prices are changed into Dollars. This is the prices in my country.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I would just say, if you are willing to pay almost 100$ for a mobo, you should just get a B550, the M Pro4 which is a excellent model, retails often for 100$. I wouldn't get the B520, it's a very limited chipset, doesnt even allow you to overclock.

Out of these three motherboards you listed, I would pick B450 Aorus M -simply because of more USB ports.
But as @ocer9999 mentioned, with 95$ you're coming close to some B550 micro-ATX boards (if they're available at such prices in your country).
Anyway, if you don't plan to OC, then there's no need to look at stuff like VRM quality. Dual BIOS.. I had Gigabyte boards in past, but to be honest, I never saw some benefit of having it. Same goes for M.2 heat sink, which is more a decoration.

As it seems, B4xx and 5xx boards have the same "upgrade path" -both can support latest AMD CPU's. And next CPU's that AMD plans to deliver early next year, won't fit into AM4 socket anyway.
In short: buy what you can afford and what suits your needs (connectivity wise).

Note: if you decide for B450 board, then make sure it has BIOS installed which already supports Ryzen 3000 series CPU! -for Gigabyte, that would be version F40.
All 5xx boards support 3000 and 5000 series CPU's out of the box.

Nika_1

Distinguished
May 20, 2016
I would just say, if you are willing to pay almost 100$ for a mobo, you should just get a B550, the M Pro4 which is a excellent model, retails often for 100$. I wouldn't get the B520, it's a very limited chipset, doesnt even allow you to overclock.
Will I be able to buy that motherboard on Amazon at 100$? I just searched it on Amazon and it is 115$. I know because of that 15$ not buying that great of a motherboard will be dumb but I rly need to save money for Ram. Also just asking if the vrm of that motherboard is good enough for maybe R5 5600x or for R7 3800x?
Thank you for your reply.

Last edited: