Question Which Motherboard should I choose?

Nov 23, 2022
So, I'm building a low-budget gaming pc. And I have 2 options for a motherboard so far. ASRock B660M PRO RS or ASRock B660M-HDV

The B660M pro is only an option If I can get it used for lower than $100. So I found a listing on eBay from new egg. The problem is it's out of stock. So I decided to look over the options again and I found the B660M-HDV for $10 cheaper and it's in stock. I looked up the differences and the ones that stand out to me are that the pro supports 128 GB of ram (Which I will never need), RGB (Which I do not care about), 1 more PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (I don't know enough to figure out how important that is). It also has 2 more ram slots which could be an issue if I buy the HDV model and want to drop in some more ram one day. It has one more fan header and some more USB through expansion, But I'm not concerned about that.
Here are the comparisons I used:
https://versus.com/en/asrock-b660m-hdv-vs-asrock-b660m-pro-rs
Thanks in advance for your help.
(If you need to know the other pc components let me know)
(Edit: If you know of some other motherboard better than both of these for a low price let me know)

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
Don't know if I'm qualified, but having built a few gaming systems, one question comes to mind straight away. Why just those two to select from? There are many other motherboards available with similar specs, with many being under $100, some being a bit more than that. Things to consider are, what your overall budget is, whether it supports processors with built-in graphics (in which case you may not need a graphics card as well) and whether you've built any gaming systems before. If you have and performance was generally ok, then use that as a kind of benchmark.

Reactions: jsnotlout

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
Not really. As long as it's a reasonably well known brand and adheres to up-to date standards, and you make sure everything is compatible of course, then you should be safe.

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
I would pick neither. Both have poor power delivery. This one is probably the best budget B660, you can buy.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($109.99 @ B&H)
Total: $109.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-12-01 07:48 EST-0500
Seems like a very good motherboard and even has USB4 connectivity, which came out in 2019 I think. That's three years ago already.