Oct 5, 2019
So I am about to build a PC. My idea is that I buy an i5-9400F and overclock it, but I am not really familiar whether I have to buy a high-end motherboard to do so or not. Also, what does unlocked and locked CPU mean and how do I unlock a locked one. And, what's a good alternative to the 9400f for a similar price and better performance (preferably more easily overclockable). I was planning on buying the ASROCK B365M Pro 4 phantom gaming for the CPU, but if without it, overclocking will be impossible, I am not sure whether it's a good idea to buy that cpu at all. Please, help me!!!

So I am about to build a PC. My idea is that I buy an i5-9400F and overclock it, but I am not really familiar whether I have to buy a high-end motherboard to do so or not. Also, what does unlocked and locked CPU mean and how do I unlock a locked one. And, what's a good alternative to the 9400f for a similar price and better performance (preferably more easily overclockable). I was planning on buying the ASROCK B365M Pro 4 phantom gaming for the CPU, but if without it, overclocking will be impossible, I am not sure whether it's a good idea to buy that cpu at all. Please, help me!!!
AMD R5 3600 would be close. Could also be OC-ed with any but A320 MBs.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
With Intel, and if you want to OC the CPU, you will need K-series CPU with Z-series MoBo in order to do that. i5-9400F has locked multiplier and can't be OC'd. Moreover, the F-suffix means that CPU has it's on-board graphics disabled as well, further diminishing it's usefulness.

Also, your picked AsRock B365M MoBo is B365 chipset and this chipset does not support CPU OC, even if you'd put K-series CPU in there (e.g i5-8600K).

On Intel side, starting from Skylake family, only following CPUs support OC:
Skylake: i5-6600K, i7-6700K
Kaby Lake: i5-7600K, i7-7700K
Coffee Lake: i3-8350K, i5-8600K, i7-8700K, i7-8086K
Coffee Lake: i5-9600K, i7-9700K, i7-9900K, i3-9350KF, i5-9600KF, i7-9700KF, i7-9900KF

And on Intel MoBo side, following chipsets support CPU OC:
Skylake, Kaby Lake: Z170, Z270
Coffee Lake: Z370, Z390

Notes:
To use Kaby Lake CPU (e.g i5-7600K) with Z170 chipset MoBo, the MoBo has to have latest BIOS.
Same is when using 9th gen Coffee Lake CPU (e.g i5-9600K) with Z370 chipset MoBo. MoBo needs to have latest BIOS.

Neither the 9400f nor 8400 can overclock as they are locked cpus. Regardless of motherboard.

All ryzen cpus are unlocked and are capable of overclocking as long as you pair them with a b or x series motherboard, which start at only like $60 or $90 for a decent board.

Oct 5, 2019
So if I'm willing to overclock, I guess I should get more expensive parts... Is there any way to go around having to pay a lot just for both a cpu and a decent motherboard, since I have a 1060 and don't think ryzen - NVIDIA fit well

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So if I'm willing to overclock, I guess I should get more expensive parts... Is there any way to go around having to pay a lot just for both a cpu and a decent motherboard, since I have a 1060 and don't think ryzen - NVIDIA fit well
The only cpus on Intel side worth looking at are the 9700K(F) and 9900K(F). Lower than that, and you would be better off considering Ryzen 3000 instead.

I have a 1060 and don't think ryzen - NVIDIA fit well
Where'd that come from? AMD cpu + Nvidia gpu is one of the better balanced combinations right now.
Intel(starting with 9700K) + Nvidia is the strongest, but also the costliest.
AMD + AMD for budget value-oriented builders.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Sure but is the value difference worth the 60$ difference really?
The difference is more like $76 USD than $60 USD,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/jLF48d,9nm323/

As far as if it's worth it - it's up to you. Given that you pick B- or X-series MoBo, you can OC both CPUs. But with R5 3600, the time needed to upgrade it is longer than R5 2600 has it. Or in other words, you can use R5 3600 longer before it's performance gets too low and CPU upgrade is needed.

My personal opinion is that it's not worth the money. R5 2600 is still good CPU and will do fine. I'd rather use the $76 to buy more RAM or bigger SSD, than use it to get a bit better performing CPU.

Back in the day, when i was looking to buy a GPU, i went with GTX 1060 3GB, rather than paying $80 extra for GTX 1060 6GB GPU. With the free money, i was able to buy much better PSU for my PC (Skylake build, full specs with pics in my sig), and i haven't regretted that choice since then.