Which motherboard to buy z97 MSI Mpower MAX VS ASUS VII Hero

9FrankTheTank3

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
I overclocked on my Z87 gigabyte sniper, the CPU is stable at 4.4ghz except when I overclocked on my GPU it started to get artifacts after awhile. It was stable for like 2-3 days but then all of a sudden acted up one night and then I found out it was my actual PCIEX16 slot. My gpu is fine cause I plugged in it just fine into my second PCIE slot.

My main question is I like to overclock and get the most out of my system but I can't really tell if theres huge differences between Mpower Max vs ROG VII Hero. I like music ALOT have a pair of ATH 700X by audio Technica so big worry is onboard sound, if not I can just pick up a sound card if there's a big difference.

My biggest worry is PCIE slot going out again. Idk I enjoy getting the most out of what i purchase haha so any suggestion even if it doesn't pertain to these 2 boards.

Solution
Think the Z87 Hero was the best of the Z87 mobos (mine in sig), so I get the Z97 Hero and it's even better, tried it with the ES 4770K I had in the Z87 and it OCed even higher 4.7 on less voltage at up to 4.8 at the same 1.24 used on the Z87, also runs cooler, handles DRAM better, and the BIOS is even better...Can't comment on the MSI, I refuse to build with them due to their poor QC

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Think the Z87 Hero was the best of the Z87 mobos (mine in sig), so I get the Z97 Hero and it's even better, tried it with the ES 4770K I had in the Z87 and it OCed even higher 4.7 on less voltage at up to 4.8 at the same 1.24 used on the Z87, also runs cooler, handles DRAM better, and the BIOS is even better...Can't comment on the MSI, I refuse to build with them due to their poor QC

Solution

lfkfkfkffs

Admirable
I really dislike the Mpower boards from msi with a passion, they are aimed towards overclockers but before I bought my rog board I bought the mpower when they had the bundle deal, that was a huge mistake. The vrms could barely keep up a 4.5 overclock. The rog board that I have now is at 4.8 without any problems, sometimes I'll oc it to 5.0 for benchmarks to show it off. Asus vs msi for warranty-Asus wins Asus vs msi for power delivery- Asus wins best innovative design and amount of features for an overclocker- Asus wins again.

9FrankTheTank3

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014

thanks for the quick response, straight to the point but ya i ahve to agree they are geared towards OC but lack quality ROG boards offer. I hate to be cliche but red and black theme INC. I really liked the black/green theme but no one can release a good green/black board :/

TheGoat Eater

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
The Z97 MPOWER MAX AC is a solid performer - I am using it now for testing the 4790K ES and will be doing a review of it. It is a solid board and I am currently running a solid 4.7 @ 1.29v and I can run up to 5.15 for testing super pi 32m. If you really want decent sound an external DAC/AMP is the only way to go ;).

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

Yep, the GB Sniper mobos aren't bad, but look at the Z97 Sniper - GB is copying the Black/Red as did MSI when they decided to rename their long running GD45 and 65 series which not surpringly they also started calling them 'gaming' boards when they went from blue/black to copy Asus' red/black scheme to try and get some market share....and the Rock has long had their Fatal1ty 'gaming' mobos in again .... Red/Black