[SOLVED] Which Motherboard to buy?

Toshz

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Hey guys,

Right now I'm looking to pick up a new mobo for an i9 9900k which i got for a really good price used ($400 oem).

I have a couple options from local retailers, not many z390 boards around atm.

• Maximus x hero
  • aorus ultra gaming wifi
  • MSI Gaming M5
weirdly enough all really close in price.

I really like the look of the maximus x, would appreciate suggestions.

Thanks!

Solution
Hero, hands down. Unless you want to pay an unrealistic price for an extremely high end board, the ASUS Hero, Gigabyte Gaming 7 (And 5, minus usually a few features) and ASRock Gaming (4, 5, 6, 7, 9) are generally go to boards with the Hero usually being the better choice depending on the generation. Of those boards, I'd go with the Hero, no question.

MSI can go away as far as the quality of their motherboards is concerned IMO. Usually at the price point of the Hero there is nothing around it worth looking at except those other two I mentioned, unless you want to pay significantly more.
Hero, hands down. Unless you want to pay an unrealistic price for an extremely high end board, the ASUS Hero, Gigabyte Gaming 7 (And 5, minus usually a few features) and ASRock Gaming (4, 5, 6, 7, 9) are generally go to boards with the Hero usually being the better choice depending on the generation. Of those boards, I'd go with the Hero, no question.

MSI can go away as far as the quality of their motherboards is concerned IMO. Usually at the price point of the Hero there is nothing around it worth looking at except those other two I mentioned, unless you want to pay significantly more.

Solution
Most Z370 boards will support the 9th gen Intel CPUs even without a BIOS update. It is still advisable to do so AND I wouldn't COUNT on it working without having the latest BIOS version, but many members have verified drop in compatibility without a BIOS update so clearly it can. I don't even think Intel released a new chipset driver for the 9th gen series CPUs, which is probably why it works without a BIOS update as the chipsets are primarily the same.