[SOLVED] Which motherboard to use ASRock or studio 450? and best GPU for 4K movies?

Sep 16, 2019
Hi guys, bit of a n00b (but getting there) my question is, is that i basically want my PC to play 4k HDR via my tv (Hisense HE65K5510UWTS) it's 4k and HDR compliant and i have HDMI 2.0 (well 2 ports actually at 4k/60hz) my problem being is i have two very old computers. One is and AMD Athlon II x4 635 processor @2900 Mhz (290 Ghz) currently with a rubbishy Nvidia Geforce GT430. The motherboard is ASRock N68C-S UCC, with 4 gigs of DDR3 ram (upgrading to 8 soon) Phenom II AM2+/AM3 ?? and a WinPower ATX 450 PSU...The other is just a straight motherboard (which i was planning on swapping the components if i should) it is an Intel core 2 quad Q8200@ 2.33Ghz . Studio 450 motherboard.
I don't use it for gaming, basically surfing, and DLing movies etc, so that is not important, but the 4k output is (what's the point of a 65" 4k HDR tv eh?- Well, apart from my PS4 PRO and Netflix/Youtube) .
So lads and ladettes, in your humble opinion(s) which motherboard is best (if you can call them that) and what GPU would suit it? (cheapest as possible) and if i need to make any modifications? P.s my PCIe is taken up with a 4 port USB 3.0.
Any help would be most welcome. :unsure:(y)

Solution
Hi, i'm confused? i'm not trying to build a rig, i'm trying to find a GPU that would either work with ASRock motherboard (i'm not sure if the PCIe is 2.0?) i'm after a GT 1030 i'm wondering if it will work with my set up (specs above in OP) i've checked the specs of the GT 1030...
Graphics Card
InterfacePCIe 3.0 x4
Now i'm not even sure what my PCIe is, if it's 2.0 or not?
It's saying the GT 1030 is PCIe 3.0 x4???
I understand the PCIe will downgrade (as will the performance) but i only want to use it for 4K viewing via my 4K tv (no gaming) my tv has HDMI 2.0 and HDR, and out puts as such (the same goes with HDMI with downgrading say in the instance of HDMI 2.0b)
To cut a long story short, will the card work or not...
Sep 16, 2019
The Studio 450, is that a laptop? By today's standards, both CPUs are about the same. The AMD might be a touch faster, and since it is a desktop board with a PCI Express slot, you can add a decent video card, which you would want for smooth 4k video.
Hi Ketchup, the studio 450 is a desktop mate (Dell) in all fairness i'd rather not goto the hassle of ripping the ASRock apart for a little more juice from the Intel? (the ASRock is my main comp at the moment, just got the 450 MB) would the GT 1030 or RX550/560 2gb be suitable for 4K (i hear the 550/560 do HDR) but would my PSU and Processors handle it? as i state the PCIe is taken up with USB 3.0 (but i have the regular GFX slot still available) do other cheaper cards support? and is it ok to use differing memory brands (providing they are the same specs)?

Sep 16, 2019
That 560 is a nice little card that should work just fine!
it states in the site that it needs " PCI Express® 2.0 or higher version based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard in order for the card to be compatible with. " I have 1 X16 graphics slots on both board, but no mention of PCI Express 2.0..it just says PCI Express on the ASRock via CPU-Z

Sep 16, 2019
Not that i know, but does that mean it supports PCIE 2.0?
P.s the RX 650 has gone (as i didnt want the lad risking losing a sale, even though he was in Bristol where i live) that's why i was asking for some help really, Ketchup you've been ace mate...so i'm now looking at a GT 1030 2g , and i'd like to stick with the ASRock MB, will the GT1030 work with my specs now that we have (kinda) agreed that it supports PCIE 2.0?

Hi guys, bit of a n00b (but getting there) my question is, is that i basically want my PC to play 4k HDR via my tv (Hisense HE65K5510UWTS) it's 4k and HDR compliant and i have HDMI 2.0 (well 2 ports actually at 4k/60hz) my problem being is i have two very old computers. One is and AMD Athlon II x4 635 processor @2900 Mhz (290 Ghz) currently with a rubbishy Nvidia Geforce GT430. The motherboard is ASRock N68C-S UCC, with 4 gigs of DDR3 ram (upgrading to 8 soon) Phenom II AM2+/AM3 ?? and a WinPower ATX 450 PSU...The other is just a straight motherboard (which i was planning on swapping the components if i should) it is an Intel core 2 quad Q8200@ 2.33Ghz . Studio 450 motherboard.
I don't use it for gaming, basically surfing, and DLing movies etc, so that is not important, but the 4k output is (what's the point of a 65" 4k HDR tv eh?- Well, apart from my PS4 PRO and Netflix/Youtube) .
So lads and ladettes, in your humble opinion(s) which motherboard is best (if you can call them that) and what GPU would suit it? (cheapest as possible) and if i need to make any modifications? P.s my PCIe is taken up with a 4 port USB 3.0.
Any help would be most welcome. :unsure:(y)
Hdmi 2.0a or hdmi 2.0b?

The reason im asking is to try to save you some money. If you have just hdmi 2.0à

rx570 or rx580 $105.
asrock b450 motherboard $80.
550 watt power supply is $60.
8 gigs memory $90.
Ryzen 3 CPU $60
Ssd storage $50

If you want hdmi 2.0b nvidia 1650

Last edited:
Reactions: seedaripper1973
Sep 16, 2019
Hdmi 2.0a or hdmi 2.0b?

The reason im asking is to try to save you some money. If you have just hdmi 2.0à

rx570 or rx580 $105.
asrock b450 motherboard $80.
550 watt power supply is $60.
8 gigs memory $90.
Ryzen 3 CPU $60
Ssd storage $50

If you want hdmi 2.0b nvidia 1650
Hi, i'm confused? i'm not trying to build a rig, i'm trying to find a GPU that would either work with ASRock motherboard (i'm not sure if the PCIe is 2.0?) i'm after a GT 1030 i'm wondering if it will work with my set up (specs above in OP) i've checked the specs of the GT 1030...
Graphics Card
InterfacePCIe 3.0 x4
I understand the PCIe will downgrade (as will the performance) but i only want to use it for 4K viewing via my 4K tv (no gaming) my tv has HDMI 2.0 and HDR, and out puts as such (the same goes with HDMI with downgrading say in the instance of HDMI 2.0b)
To cut a long story short, will the card work or not? (that is the question) :unsure:

Graphics Card
InterfacePCIe 3.0 x4
To cut a long story short, will the card work or not? (that is the question) :unsure:
Im sorry. I misread what you were after.

2.0 is backwards compatible with 3.0. It's part of the handshake start up process which negotiates bus rates. X4 is the number of lanes.

I dont know if the 1030 will do HDR though or what it can do with 4K video. Hap hazard guess i would say yes. But only if its pascal with hevc decoding.

I dont follow the lower end cards that much as most high end APUs are just about as fast or faster.

Reactions: seedaripper1973
Solution