[SOLVED] Which motherboard would you choose?

ingeborgdot

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
I am looking at either the ASRock X570 EXTREME4 or the ASUS Prime X570-Pro.
I have looked at review after review after review after review after review after review, oops, I kind of got stuck because I just wanted you to get the feel of what I've been doing.
I think I just want to pick some of your brains on what you think. Has anyone experienced both boards?
Just a little push would help me out. Thanks.

Solution
I like the style of the ROG better too. But I like the style of this better https://www.newegg.com/asus-prime-x570-pro/p/N82E16813119196?Item=N82E16813119196
More expensive though.
It's got DRMos power stages for VRM...I'm not sure how many phases though.

It's also got Gigabit ethernet, not 2.5Gigabit. Although it's Intel; I'm not sure why, but people salivate over that for some reason. It may be better in a crowded network, dealing with a lot of contention and dropped packets. I can't imagine how that helps in a less crowded home network.

Last...it's still got one of those dreaded chipset fans. Even IF it's well controlled and not a screamer at all times, I'd worry about what I do when it goes out and I don't have...
I am looking at either the ASRock X570 EXTREME4 or the ASUS Prime X570-Pro.
I have looked at review after review after review after review after review after review, oops, I kind of got stuck because I just wanted you to get the feel of what I've been doing.
I think I just want to pick some of your brains on what you think. Has anyone experienced both boards?
Just a little push would help me out. Thanks.
Neither, really.

With B550 so capable, I'd prefer not to get one that has a chipset fan to intrude in my thoughts. So choosing an X570 option absolutely demands full utilization of those unique capabilities that set it apart from the B550 choices that abound. That would be fully, or near fully, populating the PCIe and M.2 expansion slots with high-bandwidth (meaning a lot of lanes) devices. Something so rarely necessary, it seems.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020
Neither, really.

With B550 so capable, I'd prefer not to get one that has a chipset fan to intrude in my thoughts. So choosing an X570 option absolutely demands full utilization of those unique capabilities that set it apart from the B550 choices that abound. That would be fully, or near fully, populating the PCIe and M.2 expansion slots with high-bandwidth (meaning a lot of lanes) devices. Something so rarely necessary, it seems.

What about future new Ryzen generation?
I guess x570 would be better prepared for that.

Reactions: dimtodim
What B550 would compare to these two?
On which points?

MSI B550 Tomahawk, Asus B550 ROG Strix come to mind as extremely capable ATX boards.

What about future new Ryzen generation?
I guess x570 would be better prepared for that.
They're equally prepared for future Ryzen...Zen 3...as they're both specifically designed to BE prepared for it.

There's no information on Zen 4. Many pundits speculate it won't be supported on AM4 at all.

$10 to do with as you want

No chip-set fan to keep you awake at night (it would me).

12 phases of DRMos power stages to keep any Ryzen CPU fed with stable electrons.

2.5Gb ethernet.

And seriously, I do like the stylin' of the ROG vs the Steel Legend theme.

Last edited:
I like the style of the ROG better too. But I like the style of this better https://www.newegg.com/asus-prime-x570-pro/p/N82E16813119196?Item=N82E16813119196
More expensive though.
It's got DRMos power stages for VRM...I'm not sure how many phases though.

It's also got Gigabit ethernet, not 2.5Gigabit. Although it's Intel; I'm not sure why, but people salivate over that for some reason. It may be better in a crowded network, dealing with a lot of contention and dropped packets. I can't imagine how that helps in a less crowded home network.

Last...it's still got one of those dreaded chipset fans. Even IF it's well controlled and not a screamer at all times, I'd worry about what I do when it goes out and I don't have anything to replace it with.

But if you have a KNOWLEDGEABLE need for all the PCIe gen 4 lanes it provides you: as with any X570 board it can't be beat. KNOWLEDGEABLE because it's really not that useful except in certain applications. GPU's isn't one, and even NVME drives are limited advantage. You have be driving very high data throughput with sequential reads to come close to saturating even Gen 3; routine use by us home-geeks just doesn't do it that way.

Solution

ingeborgdot

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
I am now after much research going with an ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING. Just some things seem to be not needed on my build that the 570 has. I don't like the other little fan on the board for sure.