Question Which Motherboard?

Hey so I need some help choosing a motherboard I WAS gonna get an ASUS Crosshair but yeah I realized it was a little out of my budget / I wasn't gonna use any of the features really so I have 3 MOBOs please tell me which you recommend

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X470 Master SLIac/index.asp

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X470 Taichi/index.asp

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-GAMING-7-WIFI-rev-10#kf

Yes I know 570 boards are around the corner but I am probs gonna stick to 470 since they are compatible with zen 2 and much cheaper probs

Any particular reason it needs to be a X470? The higher end B450 boards have good overclocking potential and should have the features you require. For the price the Asrock B450 Steel Legend is a excellent board.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450 Steel Legend/index.asp
Because I plan to get a Ryzen 3600x or 3800x processor
(which is why I am looking for a diff board to have the budget to get it)
and I read online that B450s can have weak VRMs and bad heatsinks
also because I want onboard WiFi my house is cluttered enough to have an ethernet running through it

Hey so I need some help choosing a motherboard I WAS gonna get an ASUS Crosshair but yeah I realized it was a little out of my budget / I wasn't gonna use any of the features really so I have 3 MOBOs please tell me which you recommend

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X470 Master SLIac/index.asp

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X470 Taichi/index.asp

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-GAMING-7-WIFI-rev-10#kf

Yes I know 570 boards are around the corner but I am probs gonna stick to 470 since they are compatible with zen 2 and much cheaper probs

Those look to be all the best top-tier extreme overclocking X470's...is it safe to say that's your intention? Maybe even with a 3900 or 3950X? If so, focus exclusively on which features you want because no one yet knows what's needed, power/VRM-wise, to make 3rd gen 12/16 core chips hit high clocks.

PCIe Gen 4 is probably not gonna be so big a deal, but the one thing you'll miss most about X570's is the high memory clocks their superior constuction will allow for. Some of the leaks from factory overclockers suggest high 4GTps memory clocks are possible with Gen3 and that's doubtless being done on X570 boards.

Because I plan to get a Ryzen 3600x or 3800x processor
(which is why I am looking for a diff board to have the budget to get it)
and I read online that B450s can have weak VRMs and bad heatsinks
also because I want onboard WiFi my house is cluttered enough to have an ethernet running through it

If you not looking to extreme overclock then you don't need one of those boards. For WiFi, take a look at MSI B450 Pro Carbon AC. It has an excellent VRM with huge heavily finned heatsink. Nobody can say yet with any certainty but it should work pretty well with an 8 core, maybe even the 12 core, for moderate 24/7 overclocking.

Those look to be all the best top-tier extreme overclocking X470's...is it safe to say that's your intention? Maybe even with a 3900 or 3950X? If so, focus exclusively on which features you want because no one yet knows what's needed, power/VRM-wise, to make 3rd gen 12/16 core chips hit high clocks.

PCIe Gen 4 is probably not gonna be so big a deal, but the one thing you'll miss most about X570's is the high memory clocks their superior constuction will allow for. Some of the leaks from factory overclockers suggest high 4GTps memory clocks are possible with Gen3 and that's doubtless being done on X570 boards.
Yeah I know it's quite hard to say I am gonna get it when it isn't out but I see it as: it's better then zen+ won't upgrade for quite a long time so I want to have the best system possible aka newest gens (if I can afford) aslong as nothing stupid happens I'd be most likely going for the 3800X otherwise 3600X if can't afford the 3800X

If you not looking to extreme overclock then you don't need one of those boards. For WiFi, take a look at MSI B450 Pro Carbon AC. It has an excellent VRM with huge heavily finned heatsink. Nobody can say yet with any certainty but it should work pretty well with an 8 core, maybe even the 12 core, for moderate 24/7 overclocking.
I will be researching overclocking heavily to get the best performance :)

just wanna know which of the 3 I listed will be the best for my build

WildCard999

Titan
I will be researching overclocking heavily to get the best performance :)

just wanna know which of the 3 I listed will be the best for my build
Of those three, if features aren't an issue, I'd have to say it's really hard to say which is 'best' given the lack of shared experience (beyond very few leaks) with gen 3 overclocking. After the embargo, around 7/7, we'll all learn a lot more.

Probably go check Buildzoid's videos on YouTube to see his PCB break-downs on them... if he has them. Which he should since those three (plus the heros) ARE the top-tier extreme overclockers. He's usually very thorough and informative if a bit hard to sit through...he's unscripted, repetitive and easily distracted by tangents.

ADD: you might find this helpful...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn3rd6N9vGM&t=136s

Last edited:
Do you think it'll be zen 2 ready at launch?

Of those three, if features aren't an issue, I'd have to say it's really hard to say which is 'best' given the lack of shared experience (beyond very few leaks) with gen 3 overclocking. After the embargo, around 7/7, we'll all learn a lot more.

Probably go check Buildzoid's videos on YouTube to see his PCB break-downs on them... if he has them. Which he should since those three (plus the heros) ARE the top-tier extreme overclockers. He's usually very thorough and informative if a bit hard to sit through...he's unscripted, repetitive and easily distracted by tangents.
I can't really stand that kind of channel xD but I'll look into them ty!

I can't really stand that kind of channel xD but I'll look into them ty!

LOL... wading into 'extreme overclocking' kind of means you have to put up with a lot of that kind of stuff i've found.

I also have to think all of them have BIOS's released for Ryzen Gen 2 processors, although if you buy one now it probably is a bit chancy it will come loaded with the BIOS. That's always an issue if the board doesn't have some kind of feature for updating BIOS without CPU support... with 1st gen to 2nd gen AMD provided loaner CPU's with which to update BIOS. Don't know this time.

WildCard999

Titan
The F40 BIOS (required for 3rd gen Ryzen) came out on 5/16/19 however it's hard to say if the boards are being shipped with that BIOS. I would wait until your going to buy the CPU to get the motherboard so there might actually be a chance of it being updated or find a IT store that could probably do it for you as it would probably still be cheaper for the board +service then a good quality X570 board. Or find someone that has a first/second gen CPU you can borrow for a short time to do it yourself.

If your near in Massachusetts I'd let you use my 2600 system to upgrade the motherboard BIOS.

... or find a IT store that could probably do it for you as it would probably still be cheaper for the board +service then a good quality X570 board...
Another choice is just buy a cheap AM4 Bristol Ridge processor... about $50 US... with it. That too would end up cheaper than either an X570 or the IT shops in my area. They don't even open up your system without a $60 diagnostic charge (probably to protect themselves) and THEN the charge for updating BIOS.

LOL... wading into 'extreme overclocking' kind of means you have to put up with a lot of that kind of stuff i've found.

I also have to think all of them have BIOS's released for Ryzen Gen 2 processors, although if you buy one now it probably is a bit chancy it will come loaded with the BIOS. That's always an issue if the board doesn't have some kind of feature for updating BIOS without CPU support... with 1st gen to 2nd gen AMD provided loaner CPU's with which to update BIOS. Don't know this time.
I assume I will aswell

The F40 BIOS (required for 3rd gen Ryzen) came out on 5/16/19 however it's hard to say if the boards are being shipped with that BIOS. I would wait until your going to buy the CPU to get the motherboard so there might actually be a chance of it being updated or find a IT store that could probably do it for you as it would probably still be cheaper for the board +service then a good quality X570 board. Or find someone that has a first/second gen CPU you can borrow for a short time to do it yourself.

If your near in Massachusetts I'd let you use my 2600 system to upgrade the motherboard BIOS.
I sadly don't but I'll be sure to look it up if it isn't in a supported BIOS what will happen will it just not run? like could I straight boot to BIOS and download the BIOs on my laptop and then put it into the desktop?

WildCard999

Titan
Another choice is just buy a cheap AM4 Bristol Ridge processor... about $50 US... with it. That too would end up cheaper than either an X570 or the IT shops in my area. They don't even open up your system without a $60 diagnostic charge (probably to protect themselves) and THEN the charge for updating BIOS.
Depends on the place, I think Microcenter had updated there B360/H310/H370 motherboards that they bundled with the 9400F for free and then you still got the $30 off.

Depends on the place, I think Microcenter had updated ...
That will be super cool if MC does that with Ryzen2... I don't think they did it for the Ryzen+ release. But I also note that my MC store (at least) seems very AMD hostile. I've sat there listening to buyers on a budget being 'up-sold' into more expensive Intel builds while completely ignoring AMD options equally as powerful as they ended up with but would have been hundreds cheaper.

WildCard999

Titan
That will be super cool if MC does that with Ryzen2... I don't think they did it for the Ryzen+ release. But I also note that my MC store (at least) seems very AMD hostile. I've sat there listening to buyers on a budget being 'up-sold' into more expensive Intel builds while completely ignoring AMD options equally as powerful as they ended up with but would have been hundreds cheaper.
They are commissioned so it (unfortunately) makes sense for them to do so.

Last edited:

Latest posts