Question Which Motherboard

Sep 16, 2019
The motherboard on my sons PC has just died - ASUS H81M-PLUS. Looking at replacements - would we be able to get anything similar for around £120 (I believe these are no longer available?) Are refurbished motherboards worth looking at or will they be susceptible to failure?

What would people recommend?

Thanks

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
The motherboard on my sons PC has just died - ASUS H81M-PLUS. Looking at replacements - would we be able to get anything similar for around £120 (I believe these are no longer available?) Are refurbished motherboards worth looking at or will they be susceptible to failure?

What would people recommend?

Thanks

Hi dobbin47,

There are multiple listings on eBay for your son's original motherboard should you wish to get an exact replacement cheap. Otherwise, here is a listing of low-cost LGA 1150 motherboards or here. Find one you/he likes and then do a local search on your end.

As for refurbished, they are checked/fixed by the manufacturer before being resold. Often times they will come with a warranty, though rarely for the same length of time as a new motherboard. I've had a few refurbished mobo's over the years, with the one in my backup PC below going strong at 11 years old.

What are your son's exact PC's specs?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019
Yeah, he looked on ebay but most are pre-owned and he was concerned about buying 2nd hand.

The parts I know are:
GPU: GTX 960 windforce,
PSU: EVGA 750W SuperNOVA NEX750G
RAM: Crucial Balistix 8gb possibly 16gb

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Yeah, he looked on ebay but most are pre-owned and he was concerned about buying 2nd hand.

The parts I know are:
GPU: GTX 960 windforce,
PSU: EVGA 750W SuperNOVA NEX750G
RAM: Crucial Balistix 8gb possibly 16gb

Gotcha. Well, sit down with your son. have him count his allowance and pick from the listing above that's within his/your budget and he should be up & going in no time. :) The 2 links above are for new boards that are LGA1150, the same as your son's old motherboard. Do you know the exact CPU he has?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I think it was the Corei5. Will go through the list. Is it a case of buy the most expensive he can afford?

Thanks for your help.

I'd suggest that after he Picks out one he likes, to post it here for a resident guru to verify. The same with his CPU. We know it's an LGA1150, but better safe than sorry knowing the exact one. As for the most expensive, that may not be the best, so again have him or you post the one you've both chosen.

Forgot to ask, how do you/he know the mobo is actually bad? Did it just stop working? Was there a puff of smoke and a whiff of Ozone? lol.. :) Possibly a RAM stick is bad if the PC does not turn on, or the P/S or even the GPU.

Sep 16, 2019
Thanks for the advice - will do that. I believe there was a blue screen. Tried a restart - fans spins, but no beeps and nothing starting up on monitor. I had a friend look it over who is more tech savvy than me and check with different parts installed, or parts he had anyway. (ram, power unit etc)