Question Which motherboard?

EmptyCoconut

Prominent
Jun 9, 2019
I don't care for pci-e 4.0, so would the crosshair vi extreme, which you could buy used for around $200, be a better buy than the x570 taichi? I understand that a lower end x570 is also around $200, but those boards are certainly not worth $200.

I certainly wouldn't recommend buying a used X370 board, even a new one for that matter, for 200 bucks. Not when you can get a good B450 or X470 board for less than that new.

What CPU are you looking to run?

What country are you in?

What is your primary usage for this machine?

IDK, I'd like to agree with that, but I just can't. I'm seeing most users with X570 boards having just as many issues with memory as we've seen on previous Ryzen chipsets and overclocking, aside from setting a manual all core clock speed that is equal or lower than the single core boost clock speed, is practically non-existent on the majority of Ryzen CPUs and probably even more so on Zen2 than it was on 2nd Gen Ryzen. I can't recommend X570 unless the buyer absolutely doesn't want to hassle with BIOS updates and doesn't want either a high end Asus board or some flavor of MSI board, or needs the benefit of PCIe 4.0 for some reason.

I haven't seen anything compelling on X570 yet aside from a few users who've successfully been able to use very high speed memory, >3200mhz, which has not been a painless process from what I've seen so far but might be worth the effort if somebody is inclined to put the work in that's required to get it to run that way. Which isn't to say that nobody is having success with faster RAM, because obviously anybody who is having success isn't posting here to tell us about it. Only the folks with problems are reporting in, but there's enough of them to make it an obvious concern.