Question Which networking product companies are trustable?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hello, for networking switch, extender, mesh products, etc. which companies are trustable and sell products that do not have security, vulnerability issue?

USAFRet

Titan

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Yes, in the previous question, I was concerned about getting the best switch product. I did not know they could pose a security risk. Then, after checking many reviews and availability, I decided to buy tp-link's switch and other wifi product from them. During set up, I found that some networking companies such as tp-link are actually selling user data to other companies and have security issues. So, I am asking a new question on which companies are trustable before selecting their products.

Which companies are better?

Where did you get the information that tplink was selling the data....chatgpt or maybe reddit both full of made up information.

The only company I know that got caught stealing cell data was huawei. Even managed switches tend to have no internet ability to so they can't pass data. The router keeps all the configuration locally and tplink would not have access. Now if you are a dumb person and use a cloud based configuration tool then companies can likely collect your data.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

When I checked security vulnerability of big name companies such as netgear, tp-link, trendnet, I came up some posts of their products having vulnerability issues.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Where did you get the information that tplink was selling the data....chatgpt or maybe reddit both full of made up information.

The only company I know that got caught stealing cell data was huawei. Even managed switches tend to have no internet ability to so they can't pass data. The router keeps all the configuration locally and tplink would not have access. Now if you are a dumb person and use a cloud based configuration tool then companies can likely collect your data.

This is a big problem. Anybody can post anything they like. It is hard to tell which is real.

Your ISP can track and sell your data also so I guess it depends on who you trust the least. You always assume someone is trying to capture and track your data for both so called good and bad purposes.

Since all sites uses HTTPS everything is encrypted so at best they might see you are on twitter but not the pages you are looking at. If you do not use your router DNS as a proxy then it makes it much harder and impossible if you use encrypted DNS.

This then leave just the IP address exposed which is not very useful since most servers now reside in cloud data centers and many share ip addresses. You can hide the IP with a vpn i guess.

I would say your router tracking you is the least of your worries. It is google and facebook and all the other garbage running on your machine that tracking stuff before you can encrypted it that is much more worrying.

None of this will be fixed until more people care about this. Way too many people just put their stupid alexis box in and let it spy on them and don't care.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, for networking switch, extender, mesh products, etc. which companies are trustable and sell products that do not have security, vulnerability issue?
I worked for a defense contractor. We were concerned about security of hardware. It is not just the vendor, it is the entire supply chain the vendor uses AND the sales chain that provides the products to you. The vendor may be legit, but unknowingly uses parts which have been compromised. Supermicro had an issue a couple years ago. Can you trust Supermicro ? There were reports of Cisco hardware being modified by resellers prior to delivery to high security location. Can you trust Cisco ?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
I worked for a defense contractor. We were concerned about security of hardware. It is not just the vendor, it is the entire supply chain the vendor uses AND the sales chain that provides the products to you. The vendor may be legit, but unknowingly uses parts which have been compromised. Supermicro had an issue a couple years ago. Can you trust Supermicro ? There were reports of Cisco hardware being modified by resellers prior to delivery to high security location. Can you trust Cisco ?

I heard that even 3rd party resellers can modify network products to gather information for their interests. Is that true?

How about Netgear, Linksys and ASUS?

TRENDING THREADS