[SOLVED] Which networking setup is better for my pc connection?

daviphilip3

Prominent
Feb 5, 2019
Which would provide a faster and more stable connection to my PC?

1. Connecting my computer via ethernet directly to my modem then sharing that connection through my other ethernet slot to my router. (Tested and it does give a connection to the router) I haven't yet had the chance to test it when people are awake and using the internet.

2. Connecting my router directly to the modem and connecting my pc through the router.

The people using the router doesn't online game they mostly use it for web browsing and occasionally watching netflix and I feel that when I'm connected to the router I sometimes suffer lag spikes when playing games if a lot of bandwidth gets used so would the 1st option be better for me in anyway?

Also I do have QoS on my router and I prioritized my PC but I still get lag spikes when people are awake and using the internet. Also even if it won't prevent lag spikes which option would be better?

Solution
  1. No. You expose your system to the Internet. This is really dangerous.
  2. Yes. Lots of protection from the router from baddies.

If you're getting any issues with the others using the connection, check your connection is working 100% correctly and make sure you have enough upload and download bandwidth.
  1. No. You expose your system to the Internet. This is really dangerous.
  2. Yes. Lots of protection from the router from baddies.

If you're getting any issues with the others using the connection, check your connection is working 100% correctly and make sure you have enough upload and download bandwidth.

Reactions: abailey
Solution

TRENDING THREADS