Which new bulldozer will you most likley buy???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

badtaylorx

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Well it seems like were getting pretty close to this damn chip coming out finally :eek: ......i just wanted to get a feel for which version people want to buy...

i myself am pretty sure that ill opt for the 4170 quad core...... as i dont really see myself needing 8 cores.......i only game and use for multimedia purposes and the 4200mhz stock............thats nice.......the only part that concerns me is the turbo is only 4300mhz......

anyway.....im only interested in hearing from those who are actually considering this purchase........im not looking to start a flame war........just which one you want and why........

thanx
bTx

Maksym

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
An FX-6100 model with six cores, a 3.3GHz clock speed, 14MB of cache, a 95W thermal envelope, and an asking price of $188.32.

Oh yeah, 6 core at below 200$, with bigger cache, higher frequency than i5.

My money is ready for taking AMD, get those chips out!

beenthere

Distinguished
Zambezi will be just fine as far as performance goes. It may not dethrone Intel but no one needs to support a criminal company like Intel who has illegally tried for 20 years to crush AMD and eliminate all choice for consumers. Consumers should be thanking and supporting AMD everyday because you could be paying $1000 a pop for a Pentium 90 CPU.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008

You know what happens to a company when they're all alone right?

I hope AMD does good. Hopefully they'll at least pass up 12MB L2 C2Q IPC. =P

I'll be proud if they beat Nehalem IPC, not surprised if they don't.

are you calling me a fanboy? or yourself?
I assure you im not, my core 2 duo is my first ever intel cpu, the rest have been AMD going back to the amd k5/k6 days and even back to when they were in the 486 game. I also own an AMD graphics card. But due to the timing of when i have been ready to upgrade the last 2 times, intel has had the better product. I just get the bet i can afford at the time, which used to be AMD.

cscottm90

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
It was mentioned in another reply that HE was the fan boy

darkside_gamer7

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
I got a 2500K...It does everything I need it to do and then some...I c no need for upgrade in the near future unless gaming decides to take the leap it has needed to take...oh idk since now...

I would love to go for bulldozer if it beat the 2500k by at least a 15% margin and actually had a real significant increase in performance in gaming but the current gaming standard is really low unless you count maybe Metro 2033 but I would really like to see Engines like Cryengine 3 or Unreal 3 used to its full potential...saw some of the latest vids on unreal 3 and they say it took 3 gtx 580s to render at 30 fps at full potential...wow

now maybe I just aint seeing it but gaming hasnt made any huge leaps in a while...blame console?...Handheld?...idk

But like I said its a no point for value right now...and I use a hd 6970 whichs runs all games on max @ 35 fps avg or higher...

again just making my pt...:)

cmcghee358

Distinguished
I'm going to be getting an 8150.

I consider a "Module" to be a "core" with SMT.

Therefore I see the 8-core, as a 4 core with Hyperthreading.

That's my logic.

And seeing as how I already have an 890FX motherboard, it's cheaper to get the 8150 than build an intel system

^ that's pretty much how I see Bulldozer modules. I think the implementation is clever since it allows the FP unit to do one 256 bit AES calculation (which isn't too common) or two FP calculations at the same time. Of course, the same time part comes with some caveats. I guess we'll see how efficient it is when it's finally released.

Bah, 8 core unit. Darn marketing, it's quad module. What's important is how it will compare to the 2500 and 2600

So you have the GA-890FXA-UD5? Because thats the only 890FX Gigabyte mobo that will support BD since it has a AM3+ socket.

And BD modules is not a core plus SMT. Its much more. It has about 90% of a second core. SMT is nothing compared to it.

So if you have to pay more for a CPU? Or what if the top of the line doesn't beat the 2500K?

This si why benchmarks help decisions.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Afraid I won't have the opportunity to support amd this time around. My old i7-920 is still doing just fine. But if the new amd chips fit into old am3 boards, I wouldn't mind upgrading my web server to an 8 core version instead of the 3ghz quad it's using now. I just don't want to replace the motherboard (and thus reinstall the windows 2008 r2)

cmcghee358

Distinguished

If you notice I say "I consider" then proceed with my opinion. Because it is my opinion, it's not wrong. Sure the BD module will theortically have better performance than SMT. But I consider it SMT with more umph, and I will expect it as such. This is my take on the process and my expectation. Therefore it's a 4 core, with SMT, as far as I'm concerned.

An AM3+ socket isn't a requirement to drop in a BD chip. I haven't done in depth research but I expect Gigabyte to provide a BIOS update like the other motherboard manufacturers.

Yes I understand that AMD doesn't support BD in AM3 sockets, but with a BIOS update they will operate just fine, just with reduced functionality(which hasn't been addressed yet)

Also I do in fact have a GA-890FXA-UD5 but as stated earlier it's an AM3 board.

Status
Not open for further replies.