[SOLVED] Which notebook to buy? Gaming budget ASUS TUF?

Jul 30, 2020
I am thinking about this one that is available in my country:

ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DV
AMD Ryzen 7
8 GB Ram
512 GB SSD
RTX 2060
Price: around 1000 euro

Limit: max 1100 euro

What do you think? Would you recommend something else? I am not really sure about Ryzen 7 and rtx 2060. The CPU is going to bottleneck the GPU IMHO but I am not an expert.

I also consider something from MSI but there is nothing at this price at stock in my country.

Solution
I have just finished doing a review of different laptops at different price points so I will send you that now.
I could not work out how to send it so I am just going to paste it below.

Now for the £900-£1200 price category, for this category I actually chose for the workstation laptop a “gaming” laptop, although that does not mean that it is bad for workstation tasks, and its one of the things in tech that bugs me, is that when a laptop or desktop markets itself as for “gamers” so people who want to do video editing or workstation tasks, so if you ever see something marketed as “gaming” or for “pro`s” cough…apple…chough. So look at the specs not at the marketing.

So for the workstation laptop I chose the HP OMEN 15.6 inch...

Tom_nerd

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
I have just finished doing a review of different laptops at different price points so I will send you that now.
I could not work out how to send it so I am just going to paste it below.

Now for the £900-£1200 price category, for this category I actually chose for the workstation laptop a “gaming” laptop, although that does not mean that it is bad for workstation tasks, and its one of the things in tech that bugs me, is that when a laptop or desktop markets itself as for “gamers” so people who want to do video editing or workstation tasks, so if you ever see something marketed as “gaming” or for “pro`s” cough…apple…chough. So look at the specs not at the marketing.

So for the workstation laptop I chose the HP OMEN 15.6 inch configured with a i7-9750H and a 1660 TI, which to most people would think that they would use it for gaming, but remember a computer can do more than one thing. So that is why I chose this laptop. It has a 9750H which has 6 cores that boost up to 4.5 GHz and has 12MB of cache which will chew through any task, and as I mentioned earlier it has a 1660 TI, which has CUDA acceleration which as you may have read earlier makes a heck ton of difference, for workstation tasks. It also has a 512GB SSD for storing large files and accessing them quickly, although one of the dis-advantages of this laptop is the fact that it only has 8GB of RAM, so when I mentioned earlier that you could edit large files, you cant. Although upgradability is pretty good so you can upgrade the RAM and SSD. Although now for the slightly stupid part, the monitor (which I will get onto in a moment) is free sync which is for AMD graphics cards but this laptop has a NVidia graphics card but, so there is no point to it, so better to just ignore that feature. So far I have not been very positive with this display but it is amazing it’s a 1080p 144Hz IPS panel which looks amazingly smooth. The ports, well they are amazing. Possibly the best I have ever seen on a laptop it has 4x USB 3.1 ports, 1x USB-C, mini display port, HDMI, ethernet, headphone jack and most importantly thunderbolt 3, which means that you can edit of a superfast external thunderbolt 3 SSD. Although with great specs comes great weight, although I think that this laptop has balanced that perfectly as it weighs 2.41KG which don’t get me wrong is a lot but for a hexa-core CPU and a powerful GPU, although that does mean that they skimped on the battery life slightly because it only has 4 hours, but it makes up for that because it is using a four-cell lithium ion battery, which means that battery degradation will happen much slower than the traditional 2 or 3 cell lithium ion battery. Although now for the breaking point for some people, it has gamer aesthetics which for some people gets them extra kudos among friends but for others it may mean that they get some strange looks from bosses and colleagues. But check it out for yourself to see if you want to get it.

For the gaming laptop I chose the ASUS TUF FX505DV, this laptop is configured with a 2060 and a 3750H, which I personally believe is perfect for gaming, because it means that although the 3750H is only a quad core, most games can only take advantage of a quad core, and it is also using the “zen” CPU microarchitecture which I wont get into detail now but I am going to say that it makes the CPU more efficient and run faster, although if you would like me to document on that I would be more than happy to. It also has RTX in the 2060 onboard, although trying to run games with RTX on a desktop 2060 is hard let alone with a mobile 2060, so although it may have RTX it will probably only be able to run RTX Minecraft. It also has 16GB of RAM, it may not be needed for games now, it does mean that the laptop will be much more future proof. The ports are pretty good but when you consider how thick this laptop is it moves from a “pretty good” to a “OK”. It has 1x USB 3.0, 2 USB type-C, HDMI 2.0, mini display port, ethernet and a headphone jack. The display is very similar to the last laptop with a 120Hz 1080p IPS panel. It is also like the previous laptop in the fact that it has a 4 hour battery life with a 4 cell lithium ion battery although it is not similar in the fact that it is only 2.2KG instead of 2.4KG like on the previous one, which may not seem like a lot but when I am carrying it round all day, another thing that is similar to the previous laptop is the 512GB SSD.

For the ultra-thin laptop I chose the LG GRAM 14Z990, this laptop is configured with a i7-8565U processor which is a quad core with 8MB of cache that boosts up to 4.6GHz, and is going of integrated graphics. Has 8GB of DDR4 RAM that is clocked at 2400MHz and can be upgraded to 16GB of RAM, for storage again it has a 512GB SSD which is super-fast under load. And on the ports side of things it is amazing aswell it has 1 USB type-C, 2 USB 3.1, HDMI, display port, 3.5mm jack, micro SD card reader and my personal favourite thunderbolt 3. The webcam also features windows hello for faster unlocking. Now for the bit that truly made me pick this laptop, it’s the weight and battery life, the weight comes in at just 995 grams and the battery life is around 24 hours with a 4-cell lithium ion battery, so you could conceivably not charge this thing while going on a holiday. Although now for the downside, technically this thing is over budget by £50 although normally you can find it on sale for much less. Like at curry’s PC world it is selling for £1,000.

Solution
Jul 30, 2020
For the gaming laptop I chose the ASUS TUF FX505DV, this laptop is configured with a 2060 and a 3750H, which I personally believe is perfect for gaming, because it means that although the 3750H is only a quad core, most games can only take advantage of a quad core, and it is also using the “zen” CPU microarchitecture which I wont get into detail now but I am going to say that it makes the CPU more efficient and run faster, although if you would like me to document on that I would be more than happy to. It also has RTX in the 2060 onboard, although trying to run games with RTX on a desktop 2060 is hard let alone with a mobile 2060, so although it may have RTX it will probably only be able to run RTX Minecraft.

Thank you.

What do you mean when you are talking about a "mobile rtx 2060"? Is it much weaker?

What would you say about temperatures of this one?