Which Nvidia Card to get for editing?

Andrew DeLong

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
I am looking at at least a 3GB card, but preferably a 4GB or 6GB. I suppose the big question is, should I go Quadro or GTX? Keep in mind, the Lion's share of the work I plan on doing will be in Premiere Pro CS6/CC and After Effects with only MINOR 3DS Max work.

Any suggestions or testimonies would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Check out Tom's article on best cards for your money in January. Since the prices have hiked on AMD cards at higher than $300 MSRP, Nvidia cards are the slightly better deal right now. Then again, like I said, not entirely familiar with the AMD benefits to give a real recommendation. I don't know if Adobe supports OpenCL better than CUDA, but I do know that in the upper price bracket, AMD is not "cheaper" by any means anymore, at least not like they were around the holidays.

CraigN

Distinguished
You can get a lot of performance close to a Quadro card for a lot cheaper with a TITAN.

However, I would recommend the 3GB 780/780Ti or 6GB Titan over any of the 760 or 770 with 4 GB variants. The 384-bit memory bus on those cards will be better suited to using the larger memory size than the 256-bit one on the 760 and 770 cards will.

I'm sure someone could also chime in on the benefits of the R9 290 with its 512-bit memory interface, but I'm not intimately familiar enough with AMD graphics to make a recommendation there.

Andrew DeLong

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014

I've noticed that Adobe is beginning to show more support for the OpenCL on AMD cards. Given their inherently cheaper nature, would there be any real MPE-based advantage with OpenCL that CUDA does not offer, or would they be about equal in terms of hardware acceleration in a program like Premiere Pro?

I only ask because, to date, I've only bought Nvidia-based systems built around the use of Premiere and After Effects. If I could save some money by going with AMD, I would be more than happy to make the switch.

CraigN

Distinguished
Check out Tom's article on best cards for your money in January. Since the prices have hiked on AMD cards at higher than $300 MSRP, Nvidia cards are the slightly better deal right now. Then again, like I said, not entirely familiar with the AMD benefits to give a real recommendation. I don't know if Adobe supports OpenCL better than CUDA, but I do know that in the upper price bracket, AMD is not "cheaper" by any means anymore, at least not like they were around the holidays.

Solution