[SOLVED] Which NVME to use as scratch drive

NWCherokee

Reputable
Feb 12, 2021
Current set-up is 1TB SN850 as system drive and a 1TB 960pro as program drive. I have both a 500gb 970 EVO Plus and a 512gb 960pro sitting around that I can use for this purpose, each with very little use on them. Thinking it might just be a coin toss, but thought I would ask if there was anything I should consider between the two before I pick one over the other? Maybe will go with whichever runs cooler, IDK...

Solution
Performance will not matter, assuming you have appropriate ports available.
Cooler depends on the specifics of your case and hardware, but it also probably does not matter.

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
TBW warranty assumes 100% 4K random writing for the worst case scenario (with safety factor on top of that). Mixed use of continuous and random writes easily double triple quadruple the longevity of the drive.. TBW is like car warranty. We don't expect your pickup truck to break after 5yr/60000 miles whichever comes first.

Nov 18, 2021
TBW warranty assumes 100% 4K random writing for the worst case scenario (with safety factor on top of that). Mixed use of continuous and random writes easily double triple quadruple the longevity of the drive.. TBW is like car warranty. We don't expect your pickup truck to break after 5yr/60000 miles whichever comes first.
After "Chia" boom the truth about manufacturers became apparent - most of them double or triple their warranty TBW. For example ADATA drives was so bad, that died on 50-70% of life.