[SOLVED] Which of my 3 CPUs are stronger than the other?

Rafdog

Prominent
Jan 5, 2021
Hey, all,

So I have 3 old machines that I've been having fun with and idk what to do with them yet. I've taken them all apart, cleaned em up, new thermal paste and all that.

I've got the CPUs listed down below and even though I've compared em on Benchmark sites I'm kinda noob when it comes to fully understanding which ones the best of all 3. Listed below is all 3 of them and if you guys can do them in 1), 2), and 3), order of best to worst I'd really appreciate that! I'll put them in the order I think they're best to worst just from my simple understanding of the CPUs.

AMD Phenom 9150e Quad-Core
CPU Number 4
CPU Max Frequency 1800Mhz

Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+
CPU Number 2
CPU Max Frequency 2500Mhz

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @2.2GHz
CPU Number 2
CPU Max Frequency 2200Mhz

Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

Solution
throw in a nice sized hdd for storage and either of the dual cores would be fine for a plex/media server. it takes little power to simply send files around the network. the weakeast one would ensure the stronger one gets a better job that it can handle :)

emulation is usually very inefficient and needs extra resources. so the more cores and ram you can use the better. i am assuming you mean a console or other retro gaming type emulator? i don't believe any of these would work for virtual machines very well for true OS machines. but other type emulation would lean toward the quad core phenom, though you should check the emulator specs real close and be sure any of them can handle it. considering a raspberry pi can handle a lot of...

Rafdog

Prominent
Jan 5, 2021
pretty good chart to see what fits where. higher up the list, means stronger cpu.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-hierarchy,4312.html

should include pretty much every cpu ever made :)
So it's a little confusing. According to that list it says my Core 2 Duo is the best above all the two AMDs listed. However, if you look them up against each other (just simply Googling one vs the other and clicking one of the CPU sites) it says the Phenom with 4 cores performs better than the other two.

I also figured the Phenom would be more powerful due to the 4 cores. Lol Just feels like I'm back to square one haha

So it's a little confusing. According to that list it says my Core 2 Duo is the best above all the two AMDs listed. However, if you look them up against each other (just simply Googling one vs the other and clicking one of the CPU sites) it says the Phenom with 4 cores performs better than the other two.

I also figured the Phenom would be more powerful due to the 4 cores. Lol Just feels like I'm back to square one haha

4 cores but it's at 1.8GHz instead of 2.2 and 2.5GHz of the dual cores.

You do a task that requires more cores and the 4 cores will score better but a task where the single core performance is what is needed and the dual core at 2.5GHz will be faster.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
those compare sites lke cpuboss and the others are pretty much useless. tom's list is based on actual performance testing and not theoretical numbers made up on the spot for the site!!

what you see here is a true comparison. most of it is based on single core performance since that tends to be the most important, especially when these old cpu's came out. more cores does not always mean more performance. the intel chips of that time were far ahead of what amd had which is reflected in this ranking accurately.

you have your answer, you just need to accept it :)

Reactions: Rafdog and Nemesia

Rafdog

Prominent
Jan 5, 2021
4 cores but it's at 1.8GHz instead of 2.2 and 2.5GHz of the dual cores.

You do a task that requires more cores and the 4 cores will score better but a task where the single core performance is what is needed and the dual core at 2.5GHz will be faster.
Gotcha. Thank you for explaining the differences for the speeds of the CPUs.
those compare sites lke cpuboss and the others are pretty much useless. tom's list is based on actual performance testing and not theoretical numbers made up on the spot for the site!!

what you see here is a true comparison. most of it is based on single core performance since that tends to be the most important, especially when these old cpu's came out. more cores does not always mean more performance. the intel chips of that time were far ahead of what amd had which is reflected in this ranking accurately.

you have your answer, you just need to accept it :)
Lol I do accept the info; was just wondering what source to look at to 100% confirm and clear up the confusion. Info was coming at all directions and was wondering what was valid or not as valid.

So basically the Core 2 Duo is the best of all these 3 correct?

So it'd be:
  1. Core 2 Duo
  2. Athlon
  3. Phenom

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
here is where we ask "what are you going to do with the system?" as that really determines what is best for your needs.

the 4 core might be a better option if your software will use them all. but for single threaded stuff, the core 2 gets the nod.

so whatcha gonna do with the system?

it can get confusing for sure with all the random info out there for sure. i started the same but over the years have figured out what to trust and what to ignore. it's why i spend so much time on tom's cause i know i can trust the reviews :)

Rafdog

Prominent
Jan 5, 2021
here is where we ask "what are you going to do with the system?" as that really determines what is best for your needs.

the 4 core might be a better option if your software will use them all. but for single threaded stuff, the core 2 gets the nod.

so whatcha gonna do with the system?
Right exactly what I was just thinking!

I think for these they don't have any valid MS keys so I'm just gonna either turn them into lightweight Plex servers or use them for emulation machines.

I had a few 1GB Radeon cards laying around so I put those GPUs in them and wouldn't mind getting some use out of em. What would be better suited for a lightweight movie server and what would be best for a lightweight emulator build? I guess that's what I'd get out of them at this point. That or buy some Win 10 keys and donate em to any local neighborhood kids who need a school pc for home until school resumes.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
throw in a nice sized hdd for storage and either of the dual cores would be fine for a plex/media server. it takes little power to simply send files around the network. the weakeast one would ensure the stronger one gets a better job that it can handle :)

emulation is usually very inefficient and needs extra resources. so the more cores and ram you can use the better. i am assuming you mean a console or other retro gaming type emulator? i don't believe any of these would work for virtual machines very well for true OS machines. but other type emulation would lean toward the quad core phenom, though you should check the emulator specs real close and be sure any of them can handle it. considering a raspberry pi can handle a lot of retro emulators, the phenom should be ok as well.

that leaves the core 2 that you can do whatever with. it's still rather weak so an office type machine would be the best use. simple browsing and office/home type work would be a good future for it. it could handle that.

i work with my church to refurb and give away donated pc's for my area and know there are a lot of people who would be happy for anything like this. with the pandemic, we can't get em fast enough to give away. we got over a hundred office pc's that were only a few years old from a local office who upgraded and had a wait list long enough that they were all accounted for when we got them!!

we load em up with windows keys we get real cheap if they don't already have one included (ms is actually nice to non-profits who do this), drop libre office and some other open source software on them and they are good to go. i'm sure you'll have no issues finding a good home if you choose to do that. you can still do the free upgrade to win 10 easy enough if you have a win7/8 key lying around not in use. :)

Solution