[SOLVED] Which of my components is causing these issues?

TactX21

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2014
Hey guys, I am having some issues with my desktop PC but I am not sure which of the components is the issue. The first issue is that on a couple of occasions, my monitor went black and said that no DP signal was detected. I tried to plug in HDMI instead and still no signal but when I restarted my desktop, the signal was fine. Then, the second issue started where it feels like my game suddenly starts to stutter and drops in FPS and this happens after longer sessions of playing a game. Finally, a third issue arose today (and happened twice) where my game froze and then crashed, and when I opened task manager the window would be flashing in a way (though interestingly my Chrome was fine). I checked my component temperatures and they were fine. I also tried updating my drivers and that didn't change anything. At first I thought that there might be an issue with the GPU, but the game crashing and task manager window flashing is making me think that it could be something else? I am really not sure and I don't know how to find out, so any help will be greatly appreciated!

My build: CPU - i5-8400; GPU - Zotac GeForce GTX 1080; RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2*8GB DDR4-2666; SSD - Kingston UV400 480GB

The build is ~3 years old.

Solution
1st issue: Not sure.
2nd issue: Possible memory leak with whatever this game is -> reinstall game. Low capacity, dramless SSD being the only drive wouldn't help either.
3rd issue: Suspect bad psu, but you didn't post the make and model.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
2nd issue: Possible memory leak with whatever this game is -> reinstall game. Low capacity, dramless SSD being the only drive wouldn't help either.

Solution

TactX21

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2014
brand and model of the psu?

Ah sorry, the PSU is Corsair RMx 650W

Also to add to this, a few months back my gpu started making a rhythmic noise whenever I turned on a game. It wouldn't make this noise until I turned one on but I don't know how to describe the noise. Is there anywhere I could share an audio/video file?

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you are sure temps are fine, I might suggest checking/updating your GPU driver.

Do you have another monitor you can test with?

Check Event Viewer under the Critical and Error tabs. Helpful to have a second window open to search what they are. Event 41 can lean towards suspect PSU, but is also a response to unexpected shut down. For instance, holding the power button.
See if anything else there is helpful.

TactX21

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2014
If you are sure temps are fine, I might suggest checking/updating your GPU driver.

Do you have another monitor you can test with?

Check Event Viewer under the Critical and Error tabs. Helpful to have a second window open to search what they are. Event 41 can lean towards suspect PSU, but is also a response to unexpected shut down. For instance, holding the power button.
See if anything else there is helpful.

I believe the temps were fine yeah. I have already updated my GPU driver and unfortunately I don't have another monitor, but the one I am using is a few months old and restarting my desktop is what helped.

I took a screenshot of my Event Viewer: View: https://imgur.com/tnQgEJf
and I am not sure if the number of error events is normal?