Which of the 3 processors listed would be best for my build?

Sep 6, 2018
I got an IBM X3650 M2 that's got dual sockets. I want Its purpose to be able to perform heavy loads and provide good drive & network file transfer speeds with the occasional gaming. I've already got myself a gaming PC with an I5 6600K and R9 FURY so the real purpose for this PC to be an all-rounder and *try* to beat my gaming rig.
At this point I am stuck at deciding the processor.

I plan on having a dual cpu setup.
Here are the scores provided by passmark on the three processors i've picked out.

Xeon X5690 - CPU Mark: 8944, Single Thread Score: 1507. This has the lowest Single Thread Score but is shown to be able to support Dual CPU setup

Xeon X5687 - CPU Mark: 7091, Single Thread Score: 1571. This has the lowest CPU Mark Score but the highest Single Thread Score. Should support Dual CPU setup.

Xeon W3690 - CPU Mark: 9182, Single Thread Score: 1553. This has the highest CPU Mark Score and is the middle child between the X5687 and the X5690 in terms of Single Thread Score. There is very little information listed on Dual CPU Support for this CPU.

"Source" :https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Xeon-X5687-vs-Intel-Xeon-W3690-vs-Intel-Xeon-X5690/1313vs1275vs1314

For what i'm going for in theory the Xeon W3690 seems to be the best choice due to the extra 2 cores compared to the X5687 and the higher single thread score compared to the X5690 but the issue is dual CPU Compatibility since there is very little information on it.

What are your thoughts and ideas?

Solution
I wasnt aware any of those were supported by that board. I would just get a e5520 as xeon are not made to game and will handle file transfers and network shares fine.
Sep 6, 2018
Upon looking at the Intel Ark page for the Xeon W3690, it does not support dual CPU Configuration and only has 1 QPI link.

It appears that the X5690 Would be the better choice due to its higher CPU Mark score and additional cores.

DanKem06

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014
I wasnt aware any of those were supported by that board. I would just get a e5520 as xeon are not made to game and will handle file transfers and network shares fine.

Solution
How much are you spending on this hardware? Do you actually have some application that can utilize a lot of cores? Even if you have heavily-multithreaded workloads in mind for it, unless you're getting that Xeon hardware for really cheap, I would probably just go for a single modern processor like a 6 or 8-core Ryzen.