Question Which of the following PSUs?

foroomate

Honorable
May 18, 2018
PCPartPicker rated my machine as 330W with Graphics Cards or 190W without Graphics card so I was thinking to get a PSU that's around 450W. Right now I can buy from Amazon. I can see that there are many deals so up to 600W their price range is the same, so I came up with the following list:

**If the SeaSonic S12iii was in stock I'd probably choose it, but it's not.. T_T

1) EVGA 450 BR:
https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-100-BR-...r_1_4?keywords=psu&qid=1575733627&sr=8-4&th=1

2) Thermaltake Smart 500W or 600W (Almsot same price):
https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-...ref=sr_1_1?keywords=psu&qid=1575733627&sr=8-1

3) Best seller on Amazon right now - EVGA 500 W1:
https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-WHITE-W...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BB4KMXFYKJF2G75JET6A

4) Corsair CX450:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B72VXE6/ref=psdc_1161760_t1_B00H33SFJU

5) A SeaSonic option:
SeaSonic 500W 80+ Bronze SS-500ET

Or anything else at this price range?
Thanks

Last edited:

foroomate

Honorable
May 18, 2018
It's Ryzen 2200g with R9 270, quite old parts, but I need a simple computer (8GB or 16GB of DDR4, not sure it makes a difference). Might OC slightly with a B450M motherboard.

**I also updated the list with some other PSU so I hope I didn't ruin your comments and made it look like you don't understand

It's Ryzen 2200g with R9 270, quite old parts, but I need a simple computer (8GB or 16GB of DDR4, not sure it makes a difference). Might OC slightly with a B450M motherboard.

**I also updated the list with some other PSU so I hope I didn't ruin your comments and made it look like you don't understand
Did you already purchase those components?
If you are getting a dedicated GPU, then get a CPU like the AMD Ryzen 5 2600.
If you plan upgrading your system in the near future go with a 500-550W PSU.
Consider a newer GPU.

Reactions: foroomate
Thermaltake SMART, EVGA w1, EVGA BR are all not very good power supplies.

Corsair CX450 is by far the best PSU listed here. It offers the most modern design and good quality. I would opt for the CX550 if at all possible so you can have a better upgrade path.

The S12iii models are not even made by SeaSonic themselves and are not reccomended.

foroomate

Honorable
May 18, 2018
awesome, thanks guys! Too bad all the good stuff on Amazon are out of stock.. such as the CX450 non modular as you suggested. Because the 550 version is quite pricey but I'll have to do.. How long does it usually take to restock PSUs on Amazon.. wonder if I should wait for the CX450 :) .. I don't think I'll upgrade soon so that's all the components I got :)

Btw why the modular CX is bad? they actually changed internal electrical stuff that are worse quality?

What do you mean not made by SeaSonic? :eek:

awesome, thanks guys! Too bad all the good stuff on Amazon are out of stock.. such as the CX450 non modular as you suggested. Because the 550 version is quite pricey but I'll have to do.. How long does it usually take to restock PSUs on Amazon.. wonder if I should wait for the CX450 :) .. I don't think I'll upgrade soon so that's all the components I got :)

Btw why the modular CX is bad? they actually changed internal electrical stuff that are worse quality?

What do you mean not made by SeaSonic? :eek:
The modular is as good as the regular unit and you have the advantage of using only the cables you need.

The issue it isn't that it is not a Seasonic PSU but that it is manufacturered with very cheap, unreliable and questionable components.
They might be OK on a low power system without a GPU.

CX450m is still a pretty good PSU, but the CX450 (non m) is more modern internally.

CX 450 review.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-cx450-psu,5678-12.html

A Corsair CX uses a newer topology called LLC resonant that allows the PSU to have a better efficiency curve and generally handle high power draw video cards better then a Corsair CXM which uses an older topology.

That being said, my CX550m has been worry free with my power hungry overclocked RX480 8gb and 4.2ghz R5 2600 minus a little anomalie with the 24 pin connector. Fan is audible, but not very loud at all.

What country are you in?

foroomate

Honorable
May 18, 2018
Ah I really feel like taking the risk and get the cheap thermaltake to see what it's all about haha. They have so many positive reviews. I've always been suspicious about fake reviews on Amazon but at that amount? Also me 1 month from now: "Oh I should've listened to you guys before I fried my PC" :tearsofjoy::LOL:.. but at least it seems to have good protection so if it dies it'll probably die alone.. I mean thermaltake isn't a small brand after all? Or is it?

I'm buying a TT SMART out of a Cyberpower from my friend next month. I should try it out with my RX480 and run a crap ton of voltage through the card.

Except I'm not that crazy.

Truely, dont buy a TT SMART, LITEPOWER, or any of their budget units. They generally are rather terrible quality and very cheap design choices. Plus they will lack the protections you would see in a higher end unit.

One major thing i noticed about the TT SMART 500w is the 12v power. Most modern computers draw the vast majority of their power from the 12v rail, so ideally you want a stong 12v rail. The CX450 has 448w on the 12v rail whereas the TT SMART 500w has 420w on the 12v rail, making the CX 450W effectively a higher wattage PSU than the TT SMART 500w.

Thermaltakes higher end offerings like the toughpower and grandpower are mostly very good depending on exact model ofc. They just usually are priced higher than the competition making me unable to recommend any Thermaltake PSUs.

Thermaltake has some nice fans and cases, however they also have some very poor power supplies.

foroomate

Honorable
May 18, 2018
Ah shouldn't modular be newer than not modular? I'm not that of a power user. BTW, if I get a higher wattage psu it has more chances of being more silent? Due to it working on less load? Or that's not how it works. And, if I decided eventually to get the modular version,I should still be quite worry free? Although it uses older design? I'm an average user, gonna overclock like 100 MHz extra for fun and maybe even remove the GPU

Last edited: