Question which of these 2 is faster (or suggest for me)

luckydriver

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-7260-H...00MV3N7UO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011T5IF06/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i have an asus g75vw and i bought the USB wifi above years ago because i didnt want to take apart the machine but now i have to. the fans are dying.

so i was wondering if the intel or some other card may be better for me

when i do my computer backups of 750 gigs on the weekend i plug in the ethernet but its a pain while sitting on the sofa and i prefer the wifi at all other times

i found this that indicates this intel will work on my machine
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34378-AC-wireless-card-for-G75VW/page6

i have this router

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1750-Smart-WiFi-Router/dp/B079JD7F7G/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3PJCL97SNX2JZ&keywords=archer+c7&qid=1558467632&s=electronics&sprefix=archer+,electronics,165&sr=1-3

Lutfij

Titan
According to the product brief, the Intel 7260HMW BN is an N spec wireless adapter. This leads me to ask, what is the make and model of your built in wireless adapter? The Intel 7260-R version has AC support, btw. So you should be looking for a half height PCIe version as you're on the HM77 chipset(not needing an M.2 version of the card).

luckydriver

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
for a moment assume the intel fits my machine (win 8.1 64 bit). so would it improve performance over the USB wifi (model below
Backward Compatible with 802.11 a/b/g/n Products (2.4 GHz 150Mbps, 5GHz 433Mbps)

). thats what i'm really getting at. i dont wanna spend 30 bucks and not have improvement.

Dual-band 802.11 b/g/n
Built-in Bluetooth™ V4.0 (Optional)
10/100/1000 Base T
Qualcomm Atheros Wireless Lan Driver and Application

control panel says

atheros AR9485wb eg wireless network adapter
atheros AR8151 PCI E gigabit ethernet controller
realtec rtl8811au wireless lan 802.11 ac usb 2.0 adapter.

and i thought the intel unit was half height. i found more than one post on the asus forum saying it fit. also i cannot find any pics nor post as to how ez/hard it is for my exact laptop but i found a similar model with how it comes out. just appears unscrew the 2 antenna and should be that easy

i'm only ripping this unit apart once and these are the only 2 things i can think need done.

also i dont know if its really accurate but under wifi status thru control panel the modem says 390 mbps and for the fun of it i checked the highest ethernet speed i ever got the past 3 months backing up my C drive was about 690. im' assuming thats the highest i could get with wifi as well

Last edited:
My guess would be any internal nic will outperform that tiny usb nic. Size does matter with external USB devices. Most the small units have very small antenna a do not transmit at full power. The internal ones have larger antenna behind the screens of most laptops. All depends how close to the router you are.

In theory at least the internal card you post should be faster. It uses 2x2 mimo rather than 1x1 that your USB device does. Even in best cases it is never that simple and you get nowhere near 2 times the speed but you generally do get a significant increase.

The main concern I would have is your current card only need a single antenna. It depends if your laptop has 2 antenna or not. Adding a antenna to a laptop is a major undertaking. Some laptops have 2 antenna but the second one is used for bluetooth. Although I doubt it matters your laptop likely has antenna designed for 2.4g. 5g antenna are close enough that it should work fine.

luckydriver

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
router is 10 ft from laptop thankfully. posts on asus board say i have 2 antenna. i guess i have nothing to lose but 30 bucks as long as it truly is easy to replace once the unit is apart.

my fan is near death and i really need to order before the 2nd one totally goes out. i'm usually around 35C but when i transcode vid it shoots up over 50