Which of these 2 mobo do you like

gondo

Distinguished
Gigabyte is good but overprices and the ones I've worked with seem to fail. SO between the 2 I'd say Asus. Although I am a die hard ABit fan and would choose an Abit over any other brand.

phillyman36

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Right now im leaning towards Asus. the problems I read about seem to be more about raid and overclocking(heavy overclocking) Since im not doing any raid and maybe light overclocks(not sure if i will). Just wondering if i should spend a little more money and go for the deluxe or premium version

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
Asus.

If I wouldn't need a board with an LPT and COM (FPGA programming) I'd have the P5K-E right now (Add-in cards are annoying).
So I went for a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P. It's good too and more comparable with the P5K-E in price.
But the Gigabyte it's more expensive in this case so it's quite easy to pick Asus.

DeathWalking

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Get the Premium, NOT the Deluxe. Take a look at the underside of the Deluxe, vs. the Premium. Notice the 8 MOSFETs on the Deluxe? Thats 8 heat-generating components underneath your motherboard, where there's close to no ventilation, whereas on the Premium, they're on top, getting cooled by case airflow. Really a no-brainer.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

I dont know if ASUS have sorted it out yet or not but the Premium was reported as having ALOT of issues with SATA hdd's (not detecting... data corruption etc.) but they may have fixed it by now i dont know.

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

Gondo, rock on.
Guys I don't like either of those P5K, if I want WiFi AP I'll add it on. I already have one (on my router) which hardly gets used.
I had an inexpensive P5K (just the basic) and it was light-duty, I didn't like it.
P35 is just a stepping-stone chipset anyway - blink & you'll miss it! - so I would look at any X38 mobo currently supporting DDR2. Something like a nice P5E! Perfect.
I'm still waiting for ABit X38,
Regards

DeathWalking

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006

It's been fixed, I guess, because my friend who recently got a Premium had no problems when we were putting his computer together.

boner

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
Gigabyte all the way dawg and if you have problems with it just RMA it and that's all and you'll be a new working motherboard

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

Current PCI-e2.0 cards do not fully utilise the bandwidth on PCI-e1.0 so why do we need 2.0? The 8800GT will have the same performance on a 1.0 as on a 2.0. The main advantage ATM is that 2.0 actually provides a little more power to the card via the bus, however, this is negated with the use of the 6pin adapter power.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
stay away from gigabyte the bios sucks

asus all the way = bios is way better and much easier to tune for overlcocking

if you are a real noobie gigabyte auto settings are nice

TRENDING THREADS