[SOLVED] Which of these GPU's would be the best choice for an upgrade.

CitrusxP

Reputable
May 16, 2019
I am looking to upgrade my GPU and have narrowed it down to a few choices. I am looking at either a RTX 2070 Super, RX 5700 XT, or possibly a used GTX 1080 Ti. I know that they all preform fairly similarly when it comes to fps and what not so I want to know which would be the best in regards to other factors. I know that when the 5700 XT first came out there were a lot of driver issues and thermal problems, I've heard that they've been improved, but is it to the point where it is just as reliable as the 2070 Super? It would be in my build for multiple years before I think to upgrade again, so would the 3 year old 1080 Ti not quite be as future proof as the other two? I know these are all pretty good for gaming, but how do these cards stack up when it comes to other things, such as editing/animations/workload stuffs that I am interested in doing? I would like to be pushing 120 Hz 1440p if possible, but think really anything would be an upgrade for the 60 Hz 1080p I'm playing at now. I also have a Valve Index on order and would like to try and push 120 Hz on that as well. My current build is as follows.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 w/stock cooler
AsRock B450M Pro4
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB @ 3200
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3
All of this is in a Fractal Design Meshify C which has a max GPU length of 315 mm, which I hope doesn't become a problem.
Would any of these three suit my needs the best, or would it be worth holding onto my GTX 1060 6GB and seeing what the RTX 3000s have to offer?
Thanks for any help!

Solution
I would skip the used 1080 Ti, since they generally cost just as much as some 2070 SUPERs (at least in the US). A 2070 SUPER will offer similar performance on average, and perhaps a bit more in future titles, due to its newer architecture. And more importantly, a new card generally comes with a 2-3 year warranty, whereas a used card isn't likely to have any meaningful warranty coverage to speak of. The 2070 also provides some additional features, like hardware support for raytraced lighting effects, though they still cause a big hit to performance, and are only available in a limited number of games at this time.

The RX 5700 XT isn't quite as fast as those other cards, probably around 5-10% behind on average, and doesn't have...
I would skip the used 1080 Ti, since they generally cost just as much as some 2070 SUPERs (at least in the US). A 2070 SUPER will offer similar performance on average, and perhaps a bit more in future titles, due to its newer architecture. And more importantly, a new card generally comes with a 2-3 year warranty, whereas a used card isn't likely to have any meaningful warranty coverage to speak of. The 2070 also provides some additional features, like hardware support for raytraced lighting effects, though they still cause a big hit to performance, and are only available in a limited number of games at this time.

The RX 5700 XT isn't quite as fast as those other cards, probably around 5-10% behind on average, and doesn't have dedicated hardware for raytracing acceleration, but most tend to cost significantly less, more around the 2060 SUPER's price point.

Waiting for the RTX 30 cards could be an option, or maybe AMD's "Big-Navi" cards, depending on what price range they target, though they are not expected to release for some months, and the exact time frame is still a bit vague. It could potentially not be until the fall. I guess that could depend on how well you can cope with your 1060 for the time being. As for what those cards will offer, AMD's should be adding some form of raytracing acceleration, and I suspect the raytracing performance of Nvidia's cards will likely improve substantially. And of course, they will likely provide at least a bit more overall performance for the money as well, though the exact amount is difficult to say at this point.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS