[SOLVED] Which of these graphics cards should I pick?

TheDeadlyFeet

Reputable
May 4, 2019
pcpartpicker.com
I'm a gamer who plays at a 1080P 240Hz monitor, and I'm unsure about which of these graphics cards (listed below) is best for 1080P 240Hz.

ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 ROG STRIX OC or ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 ROG STRIX OC for 1080P 240Hz gaming?

Solution
Ok, so with that CPU the 2070 is probably the better choice. Either will work fine, but you'll probably have a CPU that is sitting around waiting for something to do part of the time if you go with the 2060. Which isn't the worst thing ever, and is certainly better than the graphics card being the problem, but is maybe a little off balance.

Probably depends as well on what kind of settings you end up running. Obviously, if you are running the RTX 2060 with less than a lower-high combination of settings, and RTX off, you're probably going to use most of those CPU cycles. Honestly it's probably fine either way you want to go. If you can't afford the more expensive card, then the other configuration is going to work pretty well anyhow...
Ok, so with that CPU the 2070 is probably the better choice. Either will work fine, but you'll probably have a CPU that is sitting around waiting for something to do part of the time if you go with the 2060. Which isn't the worst thing ever, and is certainly better than the graphics card being the problem, but is maybe a little off balance.

Probably depends as well on what kind of settings you end up running. Obviously, if you are running the RTX 2060 with less than a lower-high combination of settings, and RTX off, you're probably going to use most of those CPU cycles. Honestly it's probably fine either way you want to go. If you can't afford the more expensive card, then the other configuration is going to work pretty well anyhow.

It's probably even less of a concern if you have a Gsync or Freesync monitor.

Solution