Which of these is the most reliable?

TheCrisis

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2013
Hello community :)
I think that I should buy a new PSU since my 650W ms-tech (or rather no-name psu) isn't good enough to fire up my system (or not reliable enough, since it is a low budget one)
Currently my system is the following:
GPU: GTX780 Gainward GLH OC
CPU: AMD PhenomII x4 965 / 4x 3,4ghz -> going to upgrade to an FX-8350 after the PSU upgrade
MoBo: Asus M5A99X EVO
RAM: 2x 4gb G.SKILL Ripjaws (=8gb)
Cooling: 5x Casefans, an aftermarket CPU cooler.

The PSU should provide 750w of power while being (semi)modular
I have a budget going up to ~110€ and chose these PSUs as my favorites

XFX xxx Proseries 750W

Corsair RM Series 750W

SeasonicM12II Bronze

Thermaltake Smart 750

Now - All of them seem to be pretty solid, but I've also read pretty disruptive reviews about these..
from coil-whine to short living parts..etc.
I hope that you are able to help me with my choice :)
Thanks in advance

Solution
I would get the gold rated black edition:)
It's simple maths.
85€ + 130€ = 215€
or 130€ + 0€ = 130€

Your cooler will do fine and the power usage is fine at 4Ghz.
I get about 47 degrees while gaming on a cooler which tests the same as yours within a couple of degrees. If i encode alot of video it goes up to 51 - 53 degrees. I run 4 case fans and use a fan controller to reduce the speed of them to near silent operation.
My fan speeds are currently 820rpm, 480rpm, 610rpm and 640rpm and i am idling at 28 degrees:)

jay2577

Honorable
If it was my choice i would go with them in this order.Keep in mind that the top 3 are all good

SeasonicM12II Bronze

XFX xxx Proseries 750W

Corsair RM Series 750W

Thermaltake Smart 750<<<<< i would try to avoid this one:)

Seasonic M12II or the XFX are the most dependable of the 4. RM series is very new and not all the bug have been worked out of them yet.
Here's a review of the TT Smart 750 from July 2013.
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5613/thermaltake-smart-750-watt-80-plus-bronze-power-supply-review/index.html
TweakTown liked it, but they did have some negative things to say about it; kinda your choice re. this one.
Here's another from TechPowerUP;
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Thermaltake/Smart_M_750W/1.html

I think like Jay, you'd be better served by the first two I mentioned.

TheCrisis

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2013
Thanks for the replies so far :)

I tend to pick the XFX, since it seems to be (overall) pretty nice.
Otherwise the corsair is a good choice too....

The thing is that i read a few reviews (including user reviews on newegg, amazon, etc) and the comments, even if the most are pretty positive, seem to be very disturbing.
"fried my components", "died after a few months/days", "has a loud fan/coil whine".
I mean, these type of failures CAN occure, but does someone of you own one of these PSUs and is able to "guarantee" that I'd be happy with it?
Thanks in advance :)

jay2577

Honorable
No one can guarantee:D

My power supply is a Seasonic , it is so quiet i can't hear it and is very stable.

My last power supply was an Antec 520 watt pro gamer (manufactured by Seasonic). It was also very quiet and stable.

TheCrisis

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2013
You're right, I guess ^^

About the XFX one: Is it true, that it is "based on" seasonic?
And about the corsair PSU - Corsair makes great casefans and RAM sticks, as far as I know.
But how about their PSUs ?
It seems to be a kind of "up and down" with their products - is that right?

Edit:
I would just be able to buy a bronze-certified XFX xx 750w (semi-modular) PSU.
Does this make much of a difference compared to a gold certified one?

Nope, I don't own any of them. I'm running an AX850 from Corsair. But here's a professional review of the XFX box:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=216
Hope this helps. Lots of reviews on jonny's site of Seasonics, too. One review of the RM 650, scored a 9/10; but suggest you do a little research on Tom's for info on the Corsair RMseries

jay2577

Honorable
Yes it is true, here is a quote from a review

The eighth and last power supply in this test is the XFX Pro Series Black Edition 750W. Keen eyed readers will the note the striking similarity between the internal and external design of this one and Seasonic's X-750. The simple reason for this is that they're actually the same product, as XFX is one of Seasonic's OEM partners. Naturally, therefore, the Black Edition PSU comes with Gold certification. XFX do only supply a five year warranty instead of Seasonic's seven, but its PSU is currently almost £15 cheaper, with the reason for this likely being Seasonic not wanting to directly compete with its OEM partners.

The review is here

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/psus/2013/04/26/best-power-supply-psu-720-750w/9

TheCrisis

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2013

Thanks for the advice! :)
I think that's the wrong review - since it is the non-modular "core-edition". I don't know, if that makes much of a difference in terms of quality.

I just did (imo) a lot of research - and came to no conclusion, since every review told something different :/
The one review talked about the fan being noisy but not noticeable, while the other one said that it is far too loud and not acceptable.

I am getting confused ^^

By the way: I could get the XFX for 'round about 90€ and the corsair for 105€ - 120€ (depending on the website).

TheCrisis

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2013
I am so done :D

Everytime I decide to take e.g. the Corsair, something/someone tells me to take the other brand - and vice versa.
The XFX seems overall pretty great, same with the Corsair.
On the one hand the Corsair is more expensive than the XFX but on the other hand it offers a higher efficency and, according to my understanding of "gold certified" (apart from the efficiency), parts of higher quality.
Also, Corsair is one of the most common brands in case of PSUs, while I (hands down) never heard of XFX before - albeit it could be my fault, too ^^

In the end, as far as I got it, BOTH are great PSUs - right?
so, no matter what I take, I should be satisfied with result...?
Thanks for your patience and thanks in advance :)

jay2577

Honorable

TheCrisis

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2013
Thanks for the hint :)

While I almost finished my struggle by choosing the Corsair rm750, I, again, searched for the XFX.
It now costs 85€ (almost 35€ less than the Corsair), BUT:
I also found a Seasonic (Seasonic G-750) for ~120€ (another Seasonic, the m12II would be available for 115€)
Is anyone able to tell me, which Seasonic of these 2 is the better choice?
Also - While the XFX is "just" bronze certified, the others are all gold-ones.
Though the XFX is SLI certified, while the others (but I think they are, since they all have more than 4 PCI-E 6+2 connectors) aren't.

Something else:
the Seasonic M12II has a usual ATX12V 8pin connector, the G-series 750 seems to have an "EPS"12V-one. What does that mean?

jay2577

Honorable

TheCrisis

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2013
Again, thanks for the help :)

I am kind of sceptical towards OCing by myself :
Back in time, my old PhenomIIx4 925 (4x2,8ghz) was overclocked (thorugh raising the multipliers in BIOS) to 3,3ghz at stock volts - and it made a HUGE difference while playing (temps-peak: 60°C)
As soon as this wasn't enough, I was able to buy a Phenom 965 for a little amount of money and planned to OC it.
So: I overclocked it (using an aftermarket cooler), but did not notice any difference between the 3,4ghz or the 3,8ghz(oc temps-peak (~62°). Since then, I decided to take the better one straight away.
I also don't want to buy another aftermarket cooler, since I own an "Asus arctic square" which I bought (luckily) for 15€instead of 40€ ^^ - and it serves well: IDLE is 34°C and under 100% load ~50°C-52°C peak (at stock stats).

May be my OC-skills fault or the product itself :p

To make a last question:
Would 750W be enough power for 2x GTX780? I do not plan to buy another one right now, but maybe in future...and I, hands down, have no exact clue of power consumption... :/
Or should I take a 850W model into consideration?

Thank you all very much so far
And thanks in advance :)

TheCrisis

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2013
I am almost sure to buy the XFX model.
While the XFX xxx 750W semi-modular PSU costs 85€, the gold-rated BlackEdition-Version (850w) costs 130€.
What would be the way to go:
Buy the cheaper one and go for the higher-wattage PSU later, when I am about to buy another GTX 780?
What about the power consumption of the FX-8320 when OCed - is it the same as the 8350?
About the question, why I'd buy the 8350:
I don't know if my cooler is sufficient enough to cool the 8320 while overclocked, even if it should be fine with the 8350 at standard-"stats".

Referring to the status of my question of the beginning: I see a light at the end of the tunnel ;)

jay2577

Honorable
I would get the gold rated black edition:)
It's simple maths.
85€ + 130€ = 215€
or 130€ + 0€ = 130€

Your cooler will do fine and the power usage is fine at 4Ghz.
I get about 47 degrees while gaming on a cooler which tests the same as yours within a couple of degrees. If i encode alot of video it goes up to 51 - 53 degrees. I run 4 case fans and use a fan controller to reduce the speed of them to near silent operation.
My fan speeds are currently 820rpm, 480rpm, 610rpm and 640rpm and i am idling at 28 degrees:)

Solution

TheCrisis

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2013
Ok, thanks you very much :)
I'll go for the XFX 850W proseries BlackEdition in a couple of days.
Which CPU I will get in the end remains open - but since I need the PSU first it does not matter, yet.

I want to thank you all for your help and patience :)