Which of these two high-end gaming laptops should I get?

Justice2K

Honorable
Jan 2, 2015
Hey all,

I'm shopping for a no-compromises-on-max-settings gaming laptop. I wanted you guys to give your feedback on the two options I'm looking at from Micro Center, because I know you all know the real.

Also, how do you think these machines will hold up against the desktop PC I built 5 years ago with the i7 and the 980Ti? Thanks in advance!

1. ACER Predator Helios 700 - https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/acer-predator-helios-700-gaming-laptop,6272.html

2. MSI GE75 Raider - https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/msi-ge75-raider-rtx-gaming-laptop,5983.html

Well, the Acer seems to be the better of the two, mostly because it is newer, seems to handle its thermals better, and has more storage... but that price... If you can afford it I feel like it is the way to go... though honestly my cheap rear end would get the MSI and upgrade the storage and pay a lot less. A cooling pad can help with the thermals. Performance on games should be pretty close between the two.

As for holding up against a 5 yr old i7 and 980Ti, they will outperform your machine in multi-core applications and the GPU will definitely be quite a bit ahead of the 980Ti, making the laptops superior in games. However, in single core workloads your desktop might still perform better, mainly because of the thermal and boosting limits of laptops, especially if you've overclocked your desktop.

Reactions: Justice2K

Justice2K

Honorable
Jan 2, 2015
Well, the Acer seems to be the better of the two, mostly because it is newer, seems to handle its thermals better, and has more storage... but that price... If you can afford it I feel like it is the way to go... though honestly my cheap rear end would get the MSI and upgrade the storage and pay a lot less. A cooling pad can help with the thermals. Performance on games should be pretty close between the two.

As for holding up against a 5 yr old i7 and 980Ti, they will outperform your machine in multi-core applications and the GPU will definitely be quite a bit ahead of the 980Ti, making the laptops superior in games. However, in single core workloads your desktop might still perform better, mainly because of the thermal and boosting limits of laptops, especially if you've overclocked your desktop.
Thank you, Justin!