[SOLVED] Which old CPU is best w/RX 590 for Doom Eternal

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
FX 8350 overclocked to 4.7GHZ or i7-870 no OC? I'm not interested in any other new or old CPUs, just those two.
1080p, 16 GB ram, ultra nightmare settings.

I know...kind of an off the wall question. Either CPU is too weak for the RX 590. Please bear with me, tho.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
FX 8350 overclocked to 4.7GHZ or i7-870 no OC? I'm not interested in any other new or old CPUs, just those two.
1080p, 16 GB ram, ultra nightmare settings.

I know...kind of an off the wall question. Either CPU is too weak for the RX 590. Please bear with me, tho.

Note how I crossed that out. It's more a matter of what game you're playing, at what resolution, and at what refresh rate. ie: if you were trying to play at 60fps but 4K, then the GPU would be too weak. Resolution and detail settings are GPU bound. FPS can be GPU or CPU limited, or both, depending on the game.

The CPUs in question are likely below the minimum specs of the game, though. I don't know how playable it'll be.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
Thanks to both of you. In that case, I'm going to find out tonight tomorrow how the FX 8350 handles the game in nightmare mode.
(gotta put it together first)

Update:
Wow! I didn't think the old 8 core had it in it. Ultra nightmare was always above 60 fps and smooth as silk. Probably says more about the game's optimization than the CPU, tho. Thanks guys!

Last edited: