[SOLVED] Which one is better?

Nov 24, 2020
Hello Tom's hardware forums! So soon im planning to purchase an new budget PC. So i'am here to ask you guys which one is better since i don't have good knowledge about computers.

PC 1:

CPU: Intel i3-9100F
MOBO: Asus H310
RAM: 8GB DDR4 2666 MHz (I will upgrade to 16gb. i mean 2x 8gb in the future)
Disk: 240GB SSD + 1TB HDD sATA
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX1650 4GB OC Asus
PSU: MSI Bronze 500W Real Power
CASE: Metropolis Pro Gaming RGB

PC 2:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
MOBO: ASUS PRIME A320M-K

RAM: 8GB DDR4 2666 MHz (As i said i will upgrade to 16 soon as possible)
Disk: 240GB SSD aDATA (No HDD, but i will tell those from the store to add an 1tb, or i will add one by myself)
GPU: AMD RX 570 8 GB ASUS Strix
PSU: MSI Platinium 500W
Case: MS Titan II PRO RGB

So which one should i go for? Which one is better for gaming and working (programming)? Which one will last longer?

I don't speak english that well but, hopefully you will understand. Thanks, your answer will help me a lot!

Solution
Something that slipped my mind through all this was the Intel stock cooler.
They haven't been adequate for a long time. Expect the cpu to run toasty under load.
The stock cooler might not be great, but we are only talking about a quad-core i3 here, so I would expect it to be reasonably "adequate" enough, though the fan may ramp up audibly under load.

Fortnite will be the hardest of the 3, but I haven't kept up with it since the Chapter 2 update; the system requirements did go up after that.
I don't think that's accurate, especially if we're talking about running it at more "competitive" graphics settings. It's likely the least demanding of these to run. PUBG and GTAV might be a bit older, but both were known to be...
You're going to have to redo PC1.
Only B365 and Z390 are compatible with 9th gen out of the box. The other 300 series require a bios update be done using an older 8th gen cpu. Then the 9th gen will work.
It sounds like these are prebuilt systems, in which case that probably wouldn't be a concern, as whoever built the system would have likely taken care of that.

They're both in a relatively similar performance range. The first has a little faster CPU, while the second has a little faster graphics card. The RX 570 uses more power under load though.

If there's only a single stick of RAM that could hurt CPU performance a bit, as having two sticks would allow it to run in dual-channel mode.

Reactions: PxcheQ
Nov 24, 2020
You're going to have to redo PC1.
Only B365 and Z390 are compatible with 9th gen out of the box. The other 300 series require a bios update be done using an older 8th gen cpu. Then the 9th gen will work.

As it is now, there's only 1 option here.
Hey, as cryoburner said it's prebuilt system, it's ready from the store all i have to do is just purchase it, it's ready. Thank you for your answer

It sounds like these are prebuilt systems, in which case that probably wouldn't be a concern, as whoever built the system would have likely taken care of that.

They're both in a relatively similar performance range. The first has a little faster CPU, while the second has a little faster graphics card. The RX 570 uses more power under load though.

If there's only a single stick of RAM that could hurt CPU performance a bit, as having two sticks would allow it to run in dual-channel mode.
Hello, yep, i don't like the amd one because its using more power, and i don't like AMD as much as nvidia, i made this thread just to see your answers. And as i said i will upgrade the ram to dual channel 16gb 2666mhz soon as possible.

Btw, will the NVIDIA one run some games like fortnite, gta v, pubg at like 70-80 FPS on medium settings?
Also guys, what do you think about the PSU? Since i can't find on the internet details about it, if you know can you tell me? It's the most important for me and i care a lot about it. Because if it goes BOOM everything goes BOOM.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Oh, ok. So those possible incompatibilities are already dealt with. (y)

I wouldn't count on that kind of performance during the period of time the system will be sitting in single channel memory operation.
PUBG is likely the easiest of the 3 to run.
GTA V should be ok, but online could get a bit rough with a 4 thread cpu.
Fortnite will be the hardest of the 3, but I haven't kept up with it since the Chapter 2 update; the system requirements did go up after that.

Psu: When it comes to prebuilts, they typically install a unit that's 'good enough' for the parts they shipped with it. For a gpu upgrade later down the road, it's the first thing you're going to have to change.

Nov 24, 2020
Rip, the store seems to be kidding with me about the price so i moved to another store and found pc with similar specs:

Intel Core i3-9100F (6M Cache, 3.60 GHz)
Motherboard H310M Socket 1151
RAM 8GB DDR4 2666Mhz (I will purchase another 8gb 2666mhz and put it (the mobo supports dual channel)
GPU GeForce GTX 1650 4GB
Case ATX Gaming Case W/O PSU (I know it's trash, but i will purchase one with more cooling fans and better look)
PSU 500W RealPower (Hmm, as i said i care about it, what do you think? (the PC is built already, all i have to do is purchase it))
CPU Cooler Intel Stock
SSD 240GB SATA3
HDD 1TB

As you see, almost everything is the same between the PC1 and PC2, the components that are different are the PSU and the case. What do you think about the PSU?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
They haven't been adequate for a long time. Expect the cpu to run toasty under load.

What I said about the psu stands for pretty much all prebuilts. 'Good enough' for the original hardware.
Try to do an upgrade, especially the gpu - it's the first thing that needs to go.

Nov 24, 2020

What I said about the psu stands for pretty much all prebuilts. 'Good enough' for the original hardware.
Try to do an upgrade, especially the gpu - it's the first thing that needs to go.
What's wrong with the GPU? I said it's gonna be budget PC for some gaming and programming, i don't want to run RDR2 on 100fps on ultra.

The things im going to upgrade are RAM and case with 3-4 cooling fans.

Anyways, thank you for your answer.

The stock cooler might not be great, but we are only talking about a quad-core i3 here, so I would expect it to be reasonably "adequate" enough, though the fan may ramp up audibly under load.

I don't think that's accurate, especially if we're talking about running it at more "competitive" graphics settings. It's likely the least demanding of these to run. PUBG and GTAV might be a bit older, but both were known to be rather demanding on hardware at the time of their release, while Fortnite has generally been considered to be pretty well optimized. At maximum settings, it would likely be getting below 80fps on this hardware, but at relatively low, competitive settings, it should be able to push well in excess of 100fps, and often closer to 150fps. "Medium" settings will likely be somewhere in between, though probably still over 100fps most of the time. Though it's likely that performance at those higher frame rates could be limited somewhat by the single-channel RAM configuration holding back the CPU a bit.

What's wrong with the GPU? I said it's gonna be budget PC for some gaming and programming, i don't want to run RDR2 on 100fps on ultra.
They're saying that if you eventually decide to upgrade to a faster graphics card, perhaps a few years or so down the line, the card you want might need more power than the included PSU can reliably deliver. The 1650 doesn't require a lot of power under load (under 75 watts), so what works for that card might not necessarily work well for something higher-end.

Solution
Nov 24, 2020

I don't think that's accurate, especially if we're talking about running it at more "competitive" graphics settings. It's likely the least demanding of these to run. PUBG and GTAV might be a bit older, but both were known to be rather demanding on hardware at the time of their release, while Fortnite has generally been considered to be pretty well optimized. At maximum settings, it would likely be getting below 80fps on this hardware, but at relatively low, competitive settings, it should be able to push well in excess of 100fps, and often closer to 150fps. "Medium" settings will likely be somewhere in between, though probably still over 100fps most of the time. Though it's likely that performance at those higher frame rates could be limited somewhat by the single-channel RAM configuration holding back the CPU a bit.

They're saying that if you eventually decide to upgrade to a faster graphics card, perhaps a few years or so down the line, the card you want might need more power than the included PSU can reliably deliver. The 1650 doesn't require a lot of power under load (under 75 watts), so what works for that card might not necessarily work well for something higher-end.

Cryoburner beat me to it.

Thank you guys for your answers!
So i have some questions here!

Whats better dual fan or single fan GPU? And why? (The brand is Asus)

So if the pc is with 8gb 2666mhz ram but Kingston or another brand, can i put another 8gb 2666mhz stick but another brand for example Samsung?

The motherboard is Asus, i went to their site to see the specs of the mobo, it says "Support for 8th gen" but the CPU is 9th gen. What to do here? I heard i need bios or something.

The case supports 2x front 12cm fans, and 1x back 12cm fan, will it be enough? or i need better case?

Thanks!

Whats better dual fan or single fan GPU? And why? (The brand is Asus)
Usually cards with two fans will tend to be quieter, as they don't need to spin as fast to move the same amount of air. However, a lot of that can also depend on what kind of metal fins the cooler has inside. Those with more surface area (more or larger fins) will be able to dissipate heat easier given the same amount of airflow. The size of the fans could also make a difference, as larger fans can also spin slower while moving a given amount of air. And it's also possible that one card will simply be configured by the manufacturer to run its fans at higher speeds to maintain lower temperatures, though that's something that one can usually adjust through software.

As for specifically Asus 1650 cards, I'm not entirely sure, and I think they have at least two different styles of two-fan coolers for those cards. The "STRIX" cooler is likely better than the one on the "DUAL OC", which I would expect is probably a little better than the single fan "PHOENIX OC" cooler. For a 75 watt TDP card though, the heat output isn't going to be especially high, so it might not matter too much. You may also be able to adjust the fan curve if you find it too loud while still getting relatively decent temperatures.

So if the pc is with 8gb 2666mhz ram but Kingston or another brand, can i put another 8gb 2666mhz stick but another brand for example Samsung?
Adding RAM like that may or may not work. More often than not it will, but some RAM modules will not play well with others. Even sometimes two sticks of RAM from the same manufacturer with the same specifications may see compatibility issues when they're not bought together in the same kit. If you do go that route, you should try to get as similar of RAM as possible though. Not just the "2666" speed, but also the timings, which will be listed something like "15-15-15-35" on the RAM modules (though probably different numbers than that).

The motherboard is Asus, i went to their site to see the specs of the mobo, it says "Support for 8th gen" but the CPU is 9th gen. What to do here? I heard i need bios or something.
If this is a pre-built PC, then that would almost certainly be taken care of the manufacturer/store that built and set up the computer. That's only likely to be a concern if you are building the system yourself, as you probably wouldn't have access to a compatible processor to perform the update with.

The case supports 2x front 12cm fans, and 1x back 12cm fan, will it be enough? or i need better case?
It's hard to know for absolute certain, but if you are going with a GTX 1650 and i3-9100F, those models only put out a relatively low amount of heat, so the case probably won't require too much airflow to maintain reasonable temperatures.

Nov 24, 2020
Usually cards with two fans will tend to be quieter, as they don't need to spin as fast to move the same amount of air. However, a lot of that can also depend on what kind of metal fins the cooler has inside. Those with more surface area (more or larger fins) will be able to dissipate heat easier given the same amount of airflow. The size of the fans could also make a difference, as larger fans can also spin slower while moving a given amount of air. And it's also possible that one card will simply be configured by the manufacturer to run its fans at higher speeds to maintain lower temperatures, though that's something that one can usually adjust through software.

As for specifically Asus 1650 cards, I'm not entirely sure, and I think they have at least two different styles of two-fan coolers for those cards. The "STRIX" cooler is likely better than the one on the "DUAL OC", which I would expect is probably a little better than the single fan "PHOENIX OC" cooler. For a 75 watt TDP card though, the heat output isn't going to be especially high, so it might not matter too much. You may also be able to adjust the fan curve if you find it too loud while still getting relatively decent temperatures.

Adding RAM like that may or may not work. More often than not it will, but some RAM modules will not play well with others. Even sometimes two sticks of RAM from the same manufacturer with the same specifications may see compatibility issues when they're not bought together in the same kit. If you do go that route, you should try to get as similar of RAM as possible though. Not just the "2666" speed, but also the timings, which will be listed something like "15-15-15-35" on the RAM modules (though probably different numbers than that).

If this is a pre-built PC, then that would almost certainly be taken care of the manufacturer/store that built and set up the computer. That's only likely to be a concern if you are building the system yourself, as you probably wouldn't have access to a compatible processor to perform the update with.

It's hard to know for absolute certain, but if you are going with a GTX 1650 and i3-9100F, those models only put out a relatively low amount of heat, so the case probably won't require too much airflow to maintain reasonable temperatures.

Hi, thank you for your answer!

Still i will cap my fps on every game to 60 maybe? So the PC will use less power (so hopefully less chance of PSU death), no heat, no high noise etc... 60 fps is normal, probably 1-2ms difference. I ain't a gamer.