[SOLVED] Which one is more likely to cause a BSOD?

Soortt

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
Hello,

I've bought a new Motherboard and CPU a month ago. A MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk and Ryzen 7 3700x. My old motherboard and CPU was Asus Z170 Gaming Pro and I5 6600k.
Other pc parts are the same: Gtx 1060 6gb, Crucial mx300 525gb, WD Blue 1tb, Corsair rm650x, 3000mhz c15 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance CHANGED TO Ripjaw 2x8gb c16 3200mhz.

I also would like to mention that my ram slots are making metalic sounds when i try to stick my ram in the slot (tried different slots).

I used my pc for 4 years and had no single BSOD, untill i changed my Motherboard and CPU. It's been a month and i've had few BSOD and all of them were different.
I'm stuck here trying to understand which one is causing for BSOD. Is it the Motherboard or CPU? To be honest it's pissing me off and making me feel bad because i can't use my pc.

I did a clean windows install and formatted my disks, changed ram slots, used my friends rams, downloaded and updated all drivers, enabled XMP Profile.

Only thing i didn't do yet is the Memtest86, because i don't know how much time it will take. Is there an estimated time so i can keep an eye when it's about to end?

Cheers
Soort

Solution
I have run the dump file(s) and you can see the full report(s) in the link below.
If you are prompted to "Run only if trusted" simply click play/run and the html will be viewed. This warning is always present.

Report: https://jsfiddle.net/5zv0rjs4/show/

Summary of findings:
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( ONE_BIT )
--------------------
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
--------------------
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!RtlAvlRemoveNode+2a2 )
--------------------
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Probably caused by : dxgkrnl.sys ( dxgkrnl!DpiAcquirePostDisplayInfoFromBgfx+16f )
--------------------
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
To be honest, there is no way of telling without the dump files. No BSOD is the same, and there are hundreds of different types that all mean different things.

When you install new hardware, new software or at least new software conflicts can become apparent. The fact that you have clean reinstalled windows and the issue persists would suggest it is indeed hardware (or a hardware complication of some kind, I.e. excess temperatures or unstable overclocks), or the offending software is being reinstalled.

Do you have the dump files to hand?

B!gMeme

Commendable
Sep 14, 2020
T
Hello,

I've bought a new Motherboard and CPU a month ago. A MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk and Ryzen 7 3700x. My old motherboard and CPU was Asus Z170 Gaming Pro and I5 6600k.
Other pc parts are the same: Gtx 1060 6gb, Crucial mx300 525gb, WD Blue 1tb, Corsair rm650x, 3000mhz c15 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance CHANGED TO Ripjaw 2x8gb c16 3200mhz.

I also would like to mention that my ram slots are making metalic sounds when i try to stick my ram in the slot (tried different slots).

I used my pc for 4 years and had no single BSOD, untill i changed my Motherboard and CPU. It's been a month and i've had few BSOD and all of them were different.
I'm stuck here trying to understand which one is causing for BSOD. Is it the Motherboard or CPU? To be honest it's pissing me off and making me feel bad because i can't use my pc.

I did a clean windows install and formatted my disks, changed ram slots, used my friends rams, downloaded and updated all drivers, enabled XMP Profile.

Only thing i didn't do yet is the Memtest86, because i don't know how much time it will take. Is there an estimated time so i can keep an eye when it's about to end?

Cheers
Soort
Causes of a BSOD is really dependent on the hardware and software, and less about the OS version. Windows 10 PRO and Windows 10 Home have the same kernel, except that the pro version, for example, has a feature that is disabled in the lesser version.

Soortt

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
T

Causes of a BSOD is really dependent on the hardware and software, and less about the OS version. Windows 10 PRO and Windows 10 Home have the same kernel, except that the pro version, for example, has a feature that is disabled in the lesser version.
What could that feature be? A feature that can cause for BSOD or totally different thing?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What could that feature be? A feature that can cause for BSOD or totally different thing?
It won't. There is a misconception that Windows software or modules can often be a cause for stop errors, in reality, they never are, and the ones that are due to Windows, we're talking less than 1% of cases.

Currently looking at all dump files now and will post a report that may help others who could also help you.

Reactions: Soortt

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have run the dump file(s) and you can see the full report(s) in the link below.
If you are prompted to "Run only if trusted" simply click play/run and the html will be viewed. This warning is always present.

Report: https://jsfiddle.net/5zv0rjs4/show/

Summary of findings:
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
--------------------
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
--------------------
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!RtlAvlRemoveNode+2a2 )
--------------------
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Probably caused by : dxgkrnl.sys ( dxgkrnl!DpiAcquirePostDisplayInfoFromBgfx+16f )
--------------------
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Probably caused by : dxgmms2.sys ( dxgmms2!VidMmCompareForInsertAlignedRange+0 )

Now I'm still in training for BSOD, but it may help someone else coming across the forums.

However in spite of the fact that you said the issue only seemed to appear since changing CPU and MB, I would recommend you to update your Chipset drivers as these appear to be out of date: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK#down-driver&Win10 64

A few dumps appear to be pointing at a graphics module issue, but only the MS ones, which won't be the cause.

Did the issues occur before you changed your memory too? Or was this one of the things that also changed and then you started encountering the stop errors?

Last edited:
Solution

Soortt

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
Did the issues occur before you changed your memory too? Or was this one of the things that also changed and then you started encountering the stop errors?

The memory management BSOD stopped when i changed, updated and opened XMP profile.
Now i'll be downloading the Chipset drivers, should i also download the other ones too?
I didn't know that those can be a cause, Thank you.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Now i'll be downloading the Chipset drivers, should i also download the other ones too?
You can do, any ones on that list of my report that are out of date can be updated, but that's more a whack-a-mole process, and nothing is suggesting lots of drivers need updating. But you can do if you want to. I'd say just do it one step at a time.

I didn't know that those can be a cause, Thank you.
Any software can be a cause, the stop errors you are encountering can just as well be software as hardware, but tend to point more towards software.

From my awareness, you are also encountering error code 41792 which can be related to virtual memory (HDD/SSD). Have you also verified your SATA connections are entirely secure? And kept SATA drivers up to date?

Also it can also suggest bad RAM: (Sysnative Post) It may also be worth running memtest: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/threads/test-ram-with-passmark-memtest86.24300/

Last edited:

Soortt

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
From my awareness, you are also encountering error code 41792 which can be related to virtual memory (HDD/SSD) as opposed to physical memory. Have you also verified your SATA connections are entirely secure? And kept SATA drivers up to date?

Also it can also suggest bad RAM: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/threads/bit-flips.10714/

It may also be worth running memtest: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/threads/test-ram-with-passmark-memtest86.24300/

What do you mean by secure? If you mean they're good plugged in, they're plugged in. I can check it tomorrow just to be sure. I'm going to update the SATA drivers through MSI, but i have no clue how to do it.

I doubt it's a bad ram, memory management BSOD stopped when i updated my BIOS. I'm using my friends ram right now, his rams had no problem at all.

I'm planning to run a memtest, do you know how long it takes?
Edit: I've realised that i don't have AMD SATA on my device manager. I have Standard AHCI and it's the only one.

Soortt

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
From my awareness, you are also encountering error code 41792 which can be related to virtual memory (HDD/SSD). Have you also verified your SATA connections are entirely secure? And kept SATA drivers up to date?

I just realised on device manager that i only have one and that is: Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA-Controller.
Isn't that supposed to be AMD SATA Controller? If yes how can i download it?

Perhaps test for stability at a lower speed than 3200 MHz RAM clocks, not every Ryzen CPU and mainboard 'just works' with selecting 3200 MHz at default timings/voltage, etc....

If you stability issues are gone at 2400, 2666, or 2933 MHz, for instance, that would seem to point to RAM speeds/timing issues...

Soortt

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
Perhaps test for stability at a lower speed than 3200 MHz RAM clocks, not every Ryzen CPU and mainboard 'just works' with selecting 3200 MHz at default timings/voltage, etc....

If you stability issues are gone at 2400, 2666, or 2933 MHz, for instance, that would seem to point to RAM speeds/timing issues...

If i'm not mistaken the default setting was 2666mhz. But the memory management error stopped when i updates bios and changed to XMP Profile which is actually 3200Mhz.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I just realised on device manager that i only have one and that is: Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA-Controller.
Isn't that supposed to be AMD SATA Controller? If yes how can i download it?
AMD actually suggest to use the Microsoft drivers for this, btw. So you on right ones.

good to hear CPU was cause (or should I say, good to hear you found solution)